SLIP-Parameters: MTU ...

Post by Juergen Jaeck » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I use a 14.4-Modem to connect via CSLIP to my provider.

I use a MTU 296 B. I feel the connection is very slow and I heard total
different opinions about the value of MTU. Some say, use as high as
possible, other say the opposite.

So can anyone tell me what's right?

Besides do anybody know what overrun pakets are?
I discovered I had via the sl0 almost as much counts for overrun pakets
as received/transmitted paket counts.

Any answer is appreciated.
--

Ciao Juergen

SLIP-Parameters: MTU ...

Post by Uri Blumenth » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I use a 14.4-Modem to connect via CSLIP to my provider.
>I use a MTU 296 B...........

The smaller the packets are - the better your interactive
response will be (good for telnet and such). The bigger
they are - the better transmission rate you'll get
(good for FTPing large files and such).
You choose.

Quote:>Besides do anybody know what overrun pakets are?
>I discovered I had via the sl0 almost as much counts for overrun pakets
>as received/transmitted paket counts.

That counter roughly means "Upgrade yourself!"
At least your "ifconfig", that is.
--
Regards,
Uri.

<Disclaimer>

SLIP-Parameters: MTU ...

Post by Radovan Bra » Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I discovered I had via the sl0 almost as much counts for overrun pakets
>as received/transmitted paket counts.

  Sounds like the hardware handshaking (CTS/RTS)  between your serial port
  and modem is not working  -- a bad modem cable, or port setup, or modem
  setup.

      R.

Quote:>Ciao Juergen

1. How to modify MTU value under DIP slip mode ?

I have tried to add the command "get $mtu 1500" in my diphost
configuration file. Then, use "dip /etc/diphosts" to connect my Internet
Service Provider. After connection, I used "ifconfig" to check the MTU of
my slip/ppp line. The value is still 296 (default one). The MTU of my LAN
segent (el0) is 1500. Afterwards, I used "dip -m 1500 /etc/diphosts" to
call my Internet Service Provider for testing again. But I still got the
same MTU value. It is still 296.

My provider had set the MTU value to 1500 at the ppp port of the ppp server.
So my linux cannot receive any ip packets which size is bigger than 296.
When I want to download one file via ftp (which file size is bigger 296), my
linux will freeze and get nothing.

Anyone can tell me how to change the default value of MTU to 1500 except
the above two method. Or tell me what's the problem for the above problem.

Thanks a lot for your kind attention !

2. looking for alarm clock

3. SLIP MTU problem

4. patch for common networking error messages

5. slip mtu 286?

6. Need NFS tuning information

7. set MTU for slip???

8. run tomcat as a deamon?

9. SLIP MTU size

10. Ideal MTU for 28.8 v.34/115.2Kbps DTE SLIP/PPP ?

11. slip, vpnd, and mtu

12. The best MTU for slip/ppp

13. What MTU for SLIP links ?