Problem with POP3 server on linux

Post by Kevin Y » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Just wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on a problem my
friend's having.  He's running a POP3 server.  When he tries to receive
mail using a client such as Outlook Express he gets the following "ERR
being read already".  Any suggestions as to what's causing this and
possible solutions would be appreciated.

Kevin

Problem with POP3 server on linux

Post by Hap » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

i'd suggest using other programs, simpler ones, to test out the server,
such as eudora or netscapes mail client.

Quote:> Just wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on a problem my
> friend's having.  He's running a POP3 server.  When he tries to receive
> mail using a client such as Outlook Express he gets the following "ERR
> being read already".  Any suggestions as to what's causing this and
> possible solutions would be appreciated.

> Kevin

Problem with POP3 server on linux

Post by jxfau.. » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> mail using a client such as Outlook Express he gets the following "ERR
> being read already".  Any suggestions as to what's causing this and

Sounds like the server couldn't lock the mailbox. Maybe there is a
stale lockfile lying around or something. Different pop server lock
in different ways.

Post by Entro » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Just wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on a problem my
> friend's having.  He's running a POP3 server.  When he tries to receive

Just a random thought... try running telnet <address of server> pop3.
That gives you a raw connect to the POP3 server. The scary thing is that
it has a semi friendly interface (or at least my ISP's one does) e.g. it
will tell you what the valid options are if you type in something
illegal.

Entropy
--
Please remove the ".nospam" from my address before replying
| Bruce Merry (Entropy)            | bmerry at iafrica dot com       |

Post by blackro » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Just wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on a problem my
>friend's having.  He's running a POP3 server.  When he tries to receive
>mail using a client such as Outlook Express he gets the following "ERR
>being read already".

If you're running 2.0.30, there is a bug in the way sendmail and pop
interact with each other wherein if mail is sent and checked
simultaneously (or even close to simultaneously) the lockfile that pop
generates to keep your email from getting screwed while it's being
checked doesn't get deleted.

When this happens, pop permanently thinks your email is being checked.

Outlook is wonderful for doing this repeatedly - it was a real pain in
my ass, because it sends and checks so quickly.

The solution? Head to /var/tmp/.pop and you should see the username of
the account you are having trouble with. Delete it. You're set.

I fixed it permanently by adding the following line to the root
crontab:

*/5 * * * * rm -f /var/tmp/.pop/*

This has cron go into that directory and delete everything in it every
5 minutes. Haven't had the problem since.

Regards,

Eric Seven

blackrose[at]31337records[dot]com
http://blackrose.phoenix.az.us

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten
lava, let'em go, because man, they're gone.
-Jack Handy

alt . music . nin  geek code v1.02
N++  L   H++   B  M-  T+++  U++ I-
P+  F*  S+  NC  V-   R--  D--  PB+
alt . music . d-d geek code  v1.03
L Fnr O I++ !X H C+ S P- Y++ 7609!

Problem with POP3 server on linux

Post by Johnny Cha » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

More specify in what you can do, check /usr/tmp/.pop to see any lock file
and delete it.

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>Just wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on a problem my
>>friend's having.  He's running a POP3 server.  When he tries to receive
>>mail using a client such as Outlook Express he gets the following "ERR
>>being read already".

>If you're running 2.0.30, there is a bug in the way sendmail and pop
>interact with each other wherein if mail is sent and checked
>simultaneously (or even close to simultaneously) the lockfile that pop
>generates to keep your email from getting screwed while it's being
>checked doesn't get deleted.

>When this happens, pop permanently thinks your email is being checked.

>Outlook is wonderful for doing this repeatedly - it was a real pain in
>my ass, because it sends and checks so quickly.

>The solution? Head to /var/tmp/.pop and you should see the username of
>the account you are having trouble with. Delete it. You're set.

>I fixed it permanently by adding the following line to the root
>crontab:

>*/5 * * * * rm -f /var/tmp/.pop/*

>This has cron go into that directory and delete everything in it every
>5 minutes. Haven't had the problem since.

>Regards,

>Eric Seven

>blackrose[at]31337records[dot]com
>http://blackrose.phoenix.az.us

Hmm.  I wonder if that could explain the problem I am having.  When
someone sends me intranet mail from Outlook and I try to get it,
Eudora finds out the number of messages I have, but hangs and
eventually times out with a "Got tired of waiting for server to
respond" error.  As near as I can tell, we are using sendmail for SMTP
and ipop3d run by inetd for POP3, but I do not have root access to
that Linux box.

Next time that happens I will check for a lingering lock file.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

Problem with POP3 server on linux

Post by markefr » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Check the permissions on /var/tmp/.pop

Others did not have write permissions, which resulted in error
"being already read". Giving write permissions solved the problem for me!

regards
Frank

1. (newbie) pop3 mail client on pc attached via ethernet to linux pop3 server problems

hi,

somebody help me,

I'm connecting to a pop3 linux server via ethernet, the ip of the mail
client (pc) is in the hosts file, and i've configured the mail client to
point towards the mail servers ip, i can compose the mail message, but
after about 10 seconds of clicking send, this message appears on the pop3
server. the mail client warns me that the message was not sent.

--snip--

Pegasus Mail has timed out out while waiting for a response from the remote
host.

Socket timeouts like this can be caused by network congestion, slow
data.

You should adjust the timeout field in your Network Configuration dialog to
a longer value. If the problem persists after doing this, you may have a
configuration problem or a problem with your network.

--snip--

here's what appears on the linux pop3 server,

----snip----

Subject: Returned mail: root... Recipient names must be specified

The original message was received at Thu, 31 Oct 1996 01:57:46 GMT
from client [192.94.66.247]

501 root... Recipient names must be specified
554 /root/dead.letter... cannot open: Permission denied

2. hdc boot

3. Home POP3 server connect to ISP POP3 server

4. Printerdevice Shinko CHC 635?

5. iptables pop3 clients connecting to ext pop3 servers

6. Pointers to Linux SMP?

7. POP3 Server on Linux box problem

8. libXmu problems on Aix 3.2 RS/6000

9. pop3 server with webinterface to manage pop3 accounts

10. running smtp server and pop3 server on same machine ?

11. Needed: PH server, POP3 server

12. POP3 Server for SCO Open Server 3

13. Need help configuring pop3 server on RH 7.1 server with xinetd