Having a SLIP connection terminate after no TCP/IP activity

Having a SLIP connection terminate after no TCP/IP activity

Post by Fred Heitkam » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I often have my PC downloading large files over a SLIP connection to my
ISP.  I was wondering if there is a utility to watch the TCP/IP activity
and execute my SLIP stop script after the activity stops.  I'm thinking
along the lines of the dialer in OS Warp that has a  Hangup after x
minutes of no activity feature.

--
Fred

Post by John Thompso » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I often have my PC downloading large files over a SLIP connection to my
> ISP.  I was wondering if there is a utility to watch the TCP/IP activity
> and execute my SLIP stop script after the activity stops.  I'm thinking
> along the lines of the dialer in OS Warp that has a  Hangup after x
> minutes of no activity feature.

Do you need to use slip?  There is a gpppkill utility that
can kill the ppp interface after a user-defined idle time.
It has a nice load monitor also...

--

Post by Ed Youn » Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I often have my PC downloading large files over a SLIP connection to my
> ISP.  I was wondering if there is a utility to watch the TCP/IP activity
> and execute my SLIP stop script after the activity stops.  I'm thinking
> along the lines of the dialer in OS Warp that has a  Hangup after x
> minutes of no activity feature.

> --
> Fred

I use diald and ppp.  diald has the capability to shutdown an idle
connection after a specified number of seconds.  This works well
for me.  I also don't have to dial, as diald takes of this for me
automagically when I try to access a URL or an ftp site.  It also
dials on my computer when my son or wife access the net from their
computers.  It's a good program...

1. Help with using SLIP / TCP/IP Connection

Hi,
        I have a problem with my SLIP connection.  I use dip to dial into
a slip line at work.  The first time I dialed in, I got logged in and got assigned
an IP address.  I can ping any host on the network at work.   The problem
starts when I try to telnet or ftp to a host at work.  The telnet utility
tell me I am connected but doesn't give me a login prompt.  The same with the
ftp utility.  Next I tried Netscape.  Netscape would tell me a host is contacted
and is waiting for reply but nothing else happened.  I used "netstat" to look
at my connection and it seems like I am not receiving any thing at all.  I
disconnected from the slip connection and tried again.  The same things happened
again.  Now comes the weird part.  The third time I tried, everythng worked.
Netscape, telnet, and ftp had no problem at all.  The following day, I tried
my slip connectoin again and the same things happend to me again.  I couldn't
get things to work until the third try.  I cannot figure out why it doesn't work
on the first try.  I can ping and do nslookup when I couldn't get other network
applications to work.  What am I doing wrong?  Any help or suggestion is
appreciated.

Dennis

                   Georgia Institute of Technology
      School of Electrical Engineering, Atlanta, GA  30332-0250

                        PHONE: (404) 894-2955

2. Debug a core

3. How do I terminate a slip connection?

4. HP ScanJet Device Drivers?

5. TERMINATING SLIP Connection

6. JED editor

7. Unix command to terminate (TCP) connection?

8. Pattern Matching and Korn Shell

9. terminate an established tcp connection

10. Sparc 5/Solaris 2.4 TCP/IP Problem with SL/IP connections

11. Does "time" command measure tcp/ip activity?

12. tcp/ip LAN IPs and dynamic IP ppp connections....

13. How can I calculate the throughput of a TCP server having many connections?