Ports - Is there info avail

Post by Peter Ear » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 13:58:02

As a newbie, I do not have much of an understanding on ports.

Is there a HowTo explaining which ports are used for what ?. How can I see
which ports are open on my Linux box ?.

Thanks
Peter

Ports - Is there info avail

Post by Manfred Bart » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 14:35:31

> As a newbie, I do not have much of an understanding on ports.

> Is there a HowTo explaining which ports are used for what ?. How can I see
> which ports are open on my Linux box ?.

Commands to see which ports are in use on your (Linux) system:

        lsof -i
        netstat -tupan
        rpcinfo -p

You need to be root to get the full information.

In <http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/>, look for
these files:
        port-numbers
        protocol-numbers
        icmp-parameters
--
Manfred
ipchainsLogAnalyzer, NetCalc, whois at: <http://logi.cc/linux/>

Ports - Is there info avail

Post by Peter Ear » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 16:40:23

Manfred,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
For other newbies, I found this on another newsgroup.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/firewalls/firewall-seen.html

Its worth a read.

Peter

Ports - Is there info avail

Post by Dong Don » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 17:38:26

Why don't you see the file "/etc/services"?
There is all your installed services with port no.

Dong Dong

Quote:> As a newbie, I do not have much of an understanding on ports.

> Is there a HowTo explaining which ports are used for what ?. How can I see
> which ports are open on my Linux box ?.

> Thanks
> Peter

Ports - Is there info avail

Post by Leon Bourass » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 17:36:59

Actually, /etc/services lists most ports, really it is an interface file,
similar to /etcd/protocols it gives names to ports so that other apps don't
have to hard code ports values.

In any case, it will give the info needed. That I agree on.

Leon Bourassa
Network Admin

> Why don't you see the file "/etc/services"?
> There is all your installed services with port no.

> Dong Dong

> > As a newbie, I do not have much of an understanding on ports.

> > Is there a HowTo explaining which ports are used for what ?. How can I
see
> > which ports are open on my Linux box ?.

> > Thanks
> > Peter

1. DDE to TCP/IP Comm Driver Avail,DDE2TCP,Demo Program Avail,Custom Drivers Avail

        DDE to TCP/IP Real Time Data Pump

DDE2TCP, is a Real Time Data Pump used as a data bridge
between DDE applications and ANY host system using
TCP/IP (SUN,HP,IBM,Apple, etc).  DDE2TCP runs in the
background, totally transparent between server and target
system.

DDE2TCP is perfect for use with any MMI system or spread
sheet such as FIX,WONDERWARE,GENESIS,LabTech,EXCEL,LOTUS
for real time update of SQL databases residing on other hosts.
DDE2TCP comes with it's own configurator for fast and effective
setup.  DDE2TCP runs on WINDOWS 3.1,3.11,95 and NT.  Site
licenses,volume discounts and modifications are available.
For more information on this product or our other porducts
and custom services contact:

                Marshall Rowe
                Custom Technology
                640 N. LaSalle Ste 284
                (773) 384-4104

        VISIT our WEB
        site    WWW.CUSTOM-TECH.COM

2. socket programming question

3. DDE to TCP/IP Comm Driver Avail,DDE2TCP, Custom Drivers Avail

4. missing bit of non-executable data patch

5. DDE to TCP/IP Comm. Driver Avail.,DDE2TCP,Sample Prog Avail,Custom Drivers Too!

6. How to reach a man page topic segment?

7. DDE to TCP/IP Comm Driver Avail,DDE2TCP,Sample Prog Avail,Custom Drivers Too.

8. Why the NFS got stuck on the ypbind ?

9. DDE to TCP/IP Comm Driver Avail,DDE2TCP,Sample Prog Avail,Custom Drivers Too!

10. DDE to TCP/IP Comm Drivers Avail,DDE2TCP,Sample Prog Avail,Custom Drivers Too!

11. DDE to TCP/IP Comm Driver via TCP/IP Avail,DDE2TCP,Custom Drivers Avail

12. Any info avail for 1024x768 Trident TGUI9680 XF86 Configuration?

13. OK, so how am I supposed to know my support contract info?