Win95 dialin to Linux Box via PPP???

Post by Robert Re » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Does anybody know what Win95 PPP links try to negotiate?  What is it looking
for as far as PAP or CHAP?  I got two linux boxes connected by ppp, basic
connection, no authorization.  I try to dialin with Win95, and then Win95 times
out saying that it's "can't negotiate a compatible protocol".  I'm set up where
my Linux Server dictates local and remote IP address (ie. x.x.x.x:y.y.y.y in
the options file). I'm experimenting with 'usehostname', 'remotename <n>', and
'domain <d>' options for CHAP, but no luck yet.  Thank's in advance for any
help.

Post by Al Longye » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Does anybody know what Win95 PPP links try to negotiate?  What is it looking
>for as far as PAP or CHAP?

It attempts to negotiate Microsoft CHAP (what pppd calls ms-chap80) and
PAP.

Quote:>I got two linux boxes connected by ppp, basic
>connection, no authorization.  I try to dialin with Win95, and then Win95 times
>out saying that it's "can't negotiate a compatible protocol".  I'm set up where
>my Linux Server dictates local and remote IP address (ie. x.x.x.x:y.y.y.y in
>the options file). I'm experimenting with 'usehostname', 'remotename <n>', and
>'domain <d>' options for CHAP, but no luck yet.  Thank's in advance for any
>help.

Use PAP, not CHAP.

--

Win95 dialin to Linux Box via PPP???

Post by Bob Hau » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anybody know what Win95 PPP links try to negotiate?  What is it looking
>for as far as PAP or CHAP?

Use PAP.  Try the 'auth +pap login' options to pppd to make it use
/etc/passwd for authentication.  Win95->Linux works fine here, so
it can be made to work.  We use mgetty to answer the phone and
have it's "auto ppp" feature enabled.  The command line it uses
when it detects a ppp connection attempt is:

/usr/local/bin/pppd auth -chap +pap login kdebug 0

Plus, our usual /etc/ppp/options file(s).  Main things in there
are IP address and 'modem crtscts proxyarp'.

---

 Wasatch Communications Group                http://www.wasatch.com

Post by Lars Persso » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Does anybody know what Win95 PPP links try to negotiate?  What is it looking
> for as far as PAP or CHAP?  I got two linux boxes connected by ppp, basic
> connection, no authorization.  I try to dialin with Win95, and then Win95 times
> out saying that it's "can't negotiate a compatible protocol".

Try to use the option -debug when you start your pppd in your linux box.
The debugging goes into /var/adm/debug. It will tell you what goes wrong.
You can also look into /var/adm/messages and /var/adm/syslog to get a hint what goes wrong.

Regs /Lars

Post by Aaron S. Magi » Wed, 01 May 1996 04:00:00

> Does anybody know what Win95 PPP links try to negotiate?  What is it looking
> for as far as PAP or CHAP?  I got two linux boxes connected by ppp, basic
> connection, no authorization.  I try to dialin with Win95, and then
Win95 times
> out saying that it's "can't negotiate a compatible protocol".  I'm set
up where
> my Linux Server dictates local and remote IP address (ie. x.x.x.x:y.y.y.y in
> the options file). I'm experimenting with 'usehostname', 'remotename
<n>', and
> 'domain <d>' options for CHAP, but no luck yet.  Thank's in advance for any
> help.

I believe Microsoft told me that Windows 95 will support either CHAP or
PAP.  I haven't tried CHAP yet, but we successfully connect using PAP
authentication.  The pppd process I have running is:

/usr/sbin/pppd -detach passive auth +pap /dev/ttyE0 38400

with the following in /etc/ppp/options:
crtscts
modem
asyncmap 0x00000000
mru 1000
mtu 1000

and the local and remote ip addresses in /etc/ppp/options.ttyE0

In /etc/ppp/pap-secrets, we have the expected
<username> * <password>

for each of our customers.

The serial port has a modem attached to it, so as soon as the modem
answers, the pppd process tries to do its thing and connect to the dial in
client.

Works great with Windows 95, Macs with FreePPP or MacPPP, and other linux
hosts.  Doesn't work so well with Netscape Personal Edition under Windows
3.1.  Don't know why yet.

Aaron Magill
--

Internet System Coordinator
Flying Color Graphics Inc.

1. mgetty / AutoPPP Win95 dialin ok, linux dialin NG!

I've got it set up such that 95 / NT clients can dial my Linux 2.0.29
server with no problem and get a ppp connection every time.  Linux
doesn't do as well.  In fact not at all.  I can dial in with minicom,
but with a PROVEN set of two scripts (that I used to write this posting)
I get no connection.  Mgetty sees my linux client as a standard dialin,
and doesn't fire off AutoPPP as defined in
/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config.

  It's such a mystery that win95 and NT work, and Linux can't do it.  My
NT nerds at work are really breaking my
chops bad, so any help to get this working will allow me to smush linux
in their faces but good.

I've tried several options and configs on the client and server end,
with no success.  If anyone is successfully accomplishing this between
two linux boxes, please privilege me with the config files, or if you're
a guru, privilege me with your advice.  FAQ / HOWTO served no help.  I
surfed for three days before I decided to waste everyones resources.

I really need help.

Tanx

freddy wissing

2. a command execution question

3. PPP difficulties with win95 dialing to linux via ppp.

4. Windows to Linux WWW

5. Linux/Win95 to Linux Box Via Null-Modem, then to Internet

6. documentation/specification for ext2fs and iso9660

7. Linux PPP Server + Win95 Dialin

8. Intel EtherExpress 16K ?

9. Linux PPP-server + Win95 DialIn

10. How to connect a linux box with a win95 box or OS/2 box?

11. Connecting a WIN95 & Linux Box via Direct Cable Connection

12. Help: Routing.. (linux->net via win95 box)

13. How to : Win95 PC -- > (via Linux box) --> login to WinNT server