DIP: How to obtain local IP-adress

Post by p.. » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to set up DIP to dial up to my internet provider.
Everything seems to work OK, except for the part where I get my local
IP adress. (It is dynamic). Below is a copy of my chat script and the
output to the terminal window.

chat script:

        netmask 255.255.255.0
        port modem
        speed 19200
        reset
        dial xxxxxxx
        term
        get $remote 145.220.7.5
        get $local remote
        default mode PPP

term. window:

        User Access Verification
        Username:
        password:
        Entering PPP mode
        Async interface adress is unnumbered (ethernet0)
        Your IP-adress is xxx.xxx.xxx.xx. MTU is 1500 bytes
        Header compression will match your system.

When the script reaches the get $local remote line it pauses for two
seconds before it prints "local set to default".  (Probably 127.0.0.1)
Ping 145.220.7.5 gives me a "network not found error"

If anyone knows the answer please help,

Peter

===================
name: Peter Middelkamp

===================

Post by Josef Siem » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: I am trying to set up DIP to dial up to my internet provider.
: Everything seems to work OK, except for the part where I get my local
: IP adress. (It is dynamic). Below is a copy of my chat script and the
: output to the terminal window.

: chat script:

:       netmask 255.255.255.0
:       port modem
:       speed 19200
:       reset
:       dial xxxxxxx
Here you shouldn't only do:
:       term

but something like
wait Username: 100
send <username>\r
wait password: 10
password

:       get $remote 145.220.7.5
             ^^^^^^ change to $rmtip
wait Your\sIP-adress\sis\s 10
:       get $local remote
             ^^^^^ change to $locip
:       default
<cr here!>
mode PPP

: term. window:

:       User Access Verification
:       Username:
:       password:
:       Entering PPP mode
:       Async interface adress is unnumbered (ethernet0)
:       Your IP-adress is xxx.xxx.xxx.xx. MTU is 1500 bytes
:       Header compression will match your system.

: When the script reaches the get $local remote line it pauses for two
: seconds before it prints "local set to default".  (Probably 127.0.0.1)
: Ping 145.220.7.5 gives me a "network not found error"

What DIP does is: It sets your local hostname to 'default',
because the $local and $remote -variables contain *Names*, and not the
IP-Adresses. The $locip and $rmtip -variables contain the IP-Adresses.

Josef

1. how to find my own local IP-adress?

I've set up a computer running Mandrake Linux 7
on a local network, with a dynamically assigned
IP-adress.
Where or how can I find out what IP-adress was
assigned to this computer?
Under WinNT, for instance, I would
run 'ipconfig', and it would show me my local IP-
adress. Ara there any similar commands under
Linux?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Drivers for Logitech Quickcam Express

3. obtain the PC client IP adress in a telnet session ?

4. Limit process

5. Help Obtaining IP address from DIP

6. Clockchip settings for ATI Mach32 card

7. is a given IP adress local

8. "in.tftpd: Child Status Changed" -- ?

9. Bell-Atlantic tollfree dialups, no local ip obtained.

10. how to get ip adress of MX host for some email adress

11. Need help obtaining dynamic local IP Address using PPP

12. Prevent access to linux server when mac adress does not match ip adress

13. obtaining local IP address