remote printer

Post by Lieve » Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:18:22

I want to add a Printer that is connected directly with my router.
In Yast, I choose to add a Remote LPD.
As "Host Name of the Print Server", I click Lookup and it finds my router.
But what exactly is the "Name of the Remote Queue"? Can I see that on one of
my XP machines in the network?

remote printer

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 06 Nov 2004 13:39:23

> I want to add a Printer that is connected directly with my router.
> In Yast, I choose to add a Remote LPD.
> As "Host Name of the Print Server", I click Lookup and it finds my router.
> But what exactly is the "Name of the Remote Queue"? Can I see that on one of
> my XP machines in the network?

It would help if you revealed what brand/model of router.  Whether you can
see the queue name on XP depends upon whether XP is using software from
the manufacturer, or a "local" TCP port configured to access the print
server.  Docs for your router, or instructions for WinNT (which does
lpr/lpd like printing), should give you a clue.

My Linksys switch/printserver has 8 virtual queues (L1..L8) for different
configs of 2 printer ports.  But apparently it uses the first one as
default, because it worked even when I called it "lp".

remote printer

Post by Lieve » Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:52:07

>> I want to add a Printer that is connected directly with my router.
>> In Yast, I choose to add a Remote LPD.
>> As "Host Name of the Print Server", I click Lookup and it finds my
>> router. But what exactly is the "Name of the Remote Queue"? Can I see
>> that on one of my XP machines in the network?

> It would help if you revealed what brand/model of router.  Whether you can
> see the queue name on XP depends upon whether XP is using software from
> the manufacturer, or a "local" TCP port configured to access the print
> server.  Docs for your router, or instructions for WinNT (which does
> lpr/lpd like printing), should give you a clue.

> My Linksys switch/printserver has 8 virtual queues (L1..L8) for different
> configs of 2 printer ports.  But apparently it uses the first one as
> default, because it worked even when I called it "lp".

The router is a FBR-1407A. Through Yast, I added a Remote LPD with as name
of the remote queue "lp". When I choose to print a test page containing
only text, it prints fine. But whenever I want to test a graphical test
page, it only prints:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
             %%Pages: (atend)
                           %%BoundingBox: 0 0 595 842
                                                    %%HiResBoundingBox:0.00

remote printer

Post by Lieve » Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:41:36

I read documentation about CUPS but I still don't really get the hang of it.

I go to localhost:631 in my browser:
To add a printer I must fill in the name, location and description of the
printer. But I'm not sure what these values should be.
I'm a bit confused with the notion of the CUPS server I think. My printer is
connected directly to the router, so how do my CUPS server and router on
one hand and my CUPS client en CUPS server on the other hand communicate
with eachother. I don't mind a bit of reading but I can't distill this
information from the various documentation pages.