Samba dynamic WINS

Post by S. Mazzo » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 03:40:41

Using the CISCO vpn client, I occasionally connect to my employer's
network to check mail.  I would like to be able to grab files from
network drives at work, but my machine can't find the server at work
unless I setup the WINS servers in smb.conf.  Unfortunately, 95% of
the time, I am not using VPN, but still need samba running to serve
files to other computers on my local network.  If I leave the WINS
servers in the computer complains about not being able to contact the
WINS servers.

Is there a way to dynamically tell samba what WINS servers to use or
not use?

S. Mazzola

Samba dynamic WINS

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:17:24

Hi!,

Quote:> Using the CISCO vpn client, I occasionally connect to my employer's
> network to check mail.  I would like to be able to grab files from
> network drives at work, but my machine can't find the server at work
> unless I setup the WINS servers in smb.conf.  Unfortunately, 95% of
> the time, I am not using VPN, but still need samba running to serve
> files to other computers on my local network.  If I leave the WINS
> servers in the computer complains about not being able to contact the
> WINS servers.

> Is there a way to dynamically tell samba what WINS servers to use or
> not use?

At this stage, I think the way that SAMBA works, it requires a WINS server
address to be statically defined in its configuration file.  It isn't able to
dynamically work out which WINS server to connect too.  However, you should be
able to reduce the logging level so that it doesn't annoy you.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. samba win --> linux=ok linux-->win=not_ok

i have no problim browsing my nix box under windows
but when it comes to seeing win from nix i am now totaly lost

i have gone throgh the documentation installed by rpm

here are the smb things i have installed
/sbin/mount.smb
/sbin/mount.smbfs
/usr/sbin/smbd
/usr/bin/addtosmbpass
/usr/bin/convert_smbpasswd
/usr/bin/mksmbpasswd.sh
/usr/bin/smbadduser
/usr/bin/smbpasswd
/usr/bin/smbstatus
/usr/bin/findsmb
/usr/bin/smbclient
/usr/bin/smbmnt
/usr/bin/smbmount
/usr/bin/smbprint
/usr/bin/smbtar
/usr/bin/smbumount
/usr/bin/make_smbcodepage

but i seem to be missing things that were mentioned in the faq/howtos'
like smbsh and smbrun -- has any one seen these apps?

i am comand line only so i cant use things like linneighborhood

i would realy like to get this sorted out and scripted befor i try to
use the winbox as the gateway to the net for the linux lappy
but after reading all the info and not seeing any clear cut samples
in the doc's my head is spining

it has referances like "net use M: \\server\user" but it dosnt tell you
which of the many smb* programs to use
i cant seem to get smbclient to mount any thing but i dont get any
errors to work with

and sambas website is going under some remodleing so i cant use there
search features to look through the arcives for the answers that i know
are waiting to be found

i have been useing nix in comand line only mode for just under a year now
and i consider my self fairly fast at config files and man pages but
samba has me totaly lost in this area

if you cant spell it out for me can you at least point me to some
samba for dumbies site on the net?

all i realy want at this time is what was refeard to as "a simple ftp-like
client" in the smbclient man page but i cant seem to get the options set
right to get that far

TIA!
--
 ._______.                                         ._______.
 | <> <> |  To all who say evolution is to slow to | <> <> |

2. module_init_tools 0.9.10

3. Samba / Win 95 / Win 98 Encryption

4. driver: interruptible mutex_enter?

5. Windows WINS client does not pick up Samba WINS Server information.

6. ftp

7. Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

8. Offline Problem

9. samba with dynamic ip addresses

10. 'Dynamic' file size problem with NFS/Samba (long-ish)

11. Samba + Dynamic Interfaces ?

12. DHCP, Samba and Dynamic updating from /etc/hosts

13. Samba on a Laptop with dynamic ip