Question: How can I tell what kernal I am presently running?

Question: How can I tell what kernal I am presently running?

Post by Andy Richard » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:15:48

I have a Linux box that is our firewall and I have to make some adjustments
to it. How can I tell which kernal I am presently running?

Also, on the Linux box I am running the firewall with IP Masqing and I need
to add a couple of static IP routes to it for my mail and other programs. I
have been told that the best way is to use IPMASQADM. Is this the best way
to forward from one IP scheme to another? Where is the best documentation on
this subject?

Thank you for any help,

Andy Richards

Post by salukibo » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:59:25

> I have a Linux box that is our firewall and I have to make some
adjustments
> to it. How can I tell which kernal I am presently running?

> Also, on the Linux box I am running the firewall with IP Masqing and I
need
> to add a couple of static IP routes to it for my mail and other programs.
> have been told that the best way is to use IPMASQADM. Is this the best way
> to forward from one IP scheme to another? Where is the best documentation
on
> this subject?

> Thank you for any help,

> Andy Richards

Dunno about the static IP routes bit, but to find out your kenel version
just type in "uname -r" at the console.

salukibob

Post by Pantek Suppor » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:39:27

> I have a Linux box that is our firewall and I have to make some
adjustments
> to it. How can I tell which kernal I am presently running?

Andy, you can use the `uname -a` command.

Quote:> Also, on the Linux box I am running the firewall with IP Masqing and I
need
> to add a couple of static IP routes to it for my mail and other programs.
> have been told that the best way is to use IPMASQADM. Is this the best way
> to forward from one IP scheme to another? Where is the best documentation
on
> this subject?

I'm not sure what you want to accomplish -- static routes are different than
IPCHAINS forwarding entries.  Do you want to allow access to the machine for
incoming connections to sendmail and other programs?  Do you want to allow
the machine access to other machines for sendmail and other programs?  Do
you want to forwarding incoming connections for sendmail and other programs
from one machine to another (called port fowarding)?  Please keep in mind:
ipfwadm has been replaced by the `ipchains` command in recent times.  The
commands used for ipchains are somewhat similar, and there is a great FAQ
available at the following location:

    http://linux.pantek.com/resource/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

Static routes, on the other hand, can be added to the kernel routing table
to help define routing tables.

--
24/7 Global Linux Support & Security Center - http://linux.pantek.com/
 - searchable knowledge base w/ online reference material;

 Pantek, Incoporated <http://linux.pantek.com/>

Question: How can I tell what kernal I am presently running?

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:02:59

Hi!,

Quote:> I have a Linux box that is our firewall and I have to make some adjustments
> to it. How can I tell which kernal I am presently running?

I normally like to do a: "uname -a" to see all the*details.

Quote:

> Also, on the Linux box I am running the firewall with IP Masqing and I need
> to add a couple of static IP routes to it for my mail and other programs. I
> have been told that the best way is to use IPMASQADM. Is this the best way
> to forward from one IP scheme to another? Where is the best documentation
> on this subject?

You might want to take a look at: http://www.veryComputer.com/

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. How can I tell what shell I am running?

I want to be able to tell what shell I am running from within my
.profile file.

I want to do something like this:
export myshell = `the shell that is running`
case "$myshell" in
  bash)
    # do something
    ;;
  ksh)
    # do something else
    ;;
  *)
    # whatever
  ;;
esac

I've checked the $SHELL environment variable but I think that that is
set by "login" and does not change when one simply spawns a new shell.

If I need to RTFM please tell me which F M to R :-)
I've checked section 5 of the unix FAQ but was unable to find this
question.

Many thanks in anticipation

IJR

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. >> TIA can TELNET but no FTP or WWW <<

4. slow keyboard repeat rate after laptop snooze

6. pppd daemon dying problem

7. how to tell if your kernal has been buil with IP_FORWARD and/or IP_FIREWALL

8. SUMMARY: how to capture text output during program?

9. How do I tell what speed I am connected at?

10. rlogin can't tell who I am in Solaris 2.1

11. How can my script tell if I am in the console?

12. I am ready for Linus....Just tell me how to set it up!!!

13. How can I tell whether I am logging in on console inside .login?