Networking Card Problem... Please Help!! Thanks!!

Networking Card Problem... Please Help!! Thanks!!

Post by Road Warri » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi...

I am very new to Linux.

I have a book on Linux and it shows me how to do different stuff.  It
shows me about everything except how to setup a PCI Network Card PnP.
I have 2 Linksys EtherPCI LAN Card II cards that I am going to use to
setup a home network..  The BIOS will auto-configure the cards (gave
one card IRQ 9 and the other IRQ 11).  I have Road Runner and the PC
light on my cable modem comes on telling me that there is some kind of
connection with the computer, but I can't get linux (Red Hat 6.0) to
recognize the cards.  Is there anything that i can download or do to
my computer so I can get Linux to recognize the cards??

Thanks In Advance!!!!

Road Warrior

Networking Card Problem... Please Help!! Thanks!!

Post by Kevin G. Given » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Are they the new Linksys PCI 10/100 LAN Cards. If so, then you need to use
the Tulip.c driver that is located on the second disk of your Linksys disks.
Also, take a look at this link from linksys. It should shed some light.

Also here is some help that I received from someone else with the same
problem.

You are in luck because I have spent this past weekend (all 48 hours of
it) dealing with the same thing.  First off, which flavor of Linux are
you using?  I'm using RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.5.  Remove the lines from
your lilo.conf file.  That option is apparently only used for ISA cards
or non-PnP.  Use the tulip source file on the second disk of their
install disks and do one of two things:
1. If tulip is already compiled as a module, copy the tulip.c from the
linux directory of disk two to some temporary place.  cd to where you
copied the file and execute:
gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__
                         -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet
                         -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c
                         `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ]
                         && echo -DMODVERSIONS`
One line, of course.  Copy the tulip.o file to
/lib/modules/kernel_version/net .  If you want to save your previous
tulip.o, cp it to another directory.
2. If tulip is compiled into kernel, copy the tulip.c file to
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net, saving the previous source if you so
desire.  (probably a good idea).  Compile your kernel.  The beauty of
this way is you can compile it into the kernel now or modularize it.
Boot to your new kernel.
--above info was taken from:
http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux_lne100tx.htm

KG

Quote:> Hi...

> I am very new to Linux.

> I have a book on Linux and it shows me how to do different stuff.  It
> shows me about everything except how to setup a PCI Network Card PnP.
> I have 2 Linksys EtherPCI LAN Card II cards that I am going to use to
> setup a home network..  The BIOS will auto-configure the cards (gave
> one card IRQ 9 and the other IRQ 11).  I have Road Runner and the PC
> light on my cable modem comes on telling me that there is some kind of
> connection with the computer, but I can't get linux (Red Hat 6.0) to
> recognize the cards.  Is there anything that i can download or do to
> my computer so I can get Linux to recognize the cards??

> Thanks In Advance!!!!

> Road Warrior

Networking Card Problem... Please Help!! Thanks!!

Post by Road Warri » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I would like to take the time out to say thank you for showing me that
link..  I went to their web site thinking I could download some linux
software drivers or something, but I didn't look deep enough.
Howevery the cards that I use are the EtherPCI LAN Card II, not the
EtherFast 10/100.  I did however, find a little section that dealt
with my type of card and they said that I could use the ne2000 driver.
So, THANK YOU!!!!

Road Warrior

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:48:16 -0500, "Kevin G. Givens"

>Are they the new Linksys PCI 10/100 LAN Cards. If so, then you need to use
>the Tulip.c driver that is located on the second disk of your Linksys disks.
>Also, take a look at this link from linksys. It should shed some light.

>Also here is some help that I received from someone else with the same
>problem.

>You are in luck because I have spent this past weekend (all 48 hours of
>it) dealing with the same thing.  First off, which flavor of Linux are
>you using?  I'm using RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.5.  Remove the lines from
>your lilo.conf file.  That option is apparently only used for ISA cards
>or non-PnP.  Use the tulip source file on the second disk of their
>install disks and do one of two things:
>1. If tulip is already compiled as a module, copy the tulip.c from the
>linux directory of disk two to some temporary place.  cd to where you
>copied the file and execute:
>gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__
>                         -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet
>                         -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c
>                         `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ]
>                         && echo -DMODVERSIONS`
>One line, of course.  Copy the tulip.o file to
>/lib/modules/kernel_version/net .  If you want to save your previous
>tulip.o, cp it to another directory.
>2. If tulip is compiled into kernel, copy the tulip.c file to
>/usr/src/linux/drivers/net, saving the previous source if you so
>desire.  (probably a good idea).  Compile your kernel.  The beauty of
>this way is you can compile it into the kernel now or modularize it.
>Boot to your new kernel.
>--above info was taken from:
>http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux_lne100tx.htm

>KG

>> Hi...

>> I am very new to Linux.

>> I have a book on Linux and it shows me how to do different stuff.  It
>> shows me about everything except how to setup a PCI Network Card PnP.
>> I have 2 Linksys EtherPCI LAN Card II cards that I am going to use to
>> setup a home network..  The BIOS will auto-configure the cards (gave
>> one card IRQ 9 and the other IRQ 11).  I have Road Runner and the PC
>> light on my cable modem comes on telling me that there is some kind of
>> connection with the computer, but I can't get linux (Red Hat 6.0) to
>> recognize the cards.  Is there anything that i can download or do to
>> my computer so I can get Linux to recognize the cards??

>> Thanks In Advance!!!!

>> Road Warrior

1. Please help natd network gateway. Thank you.

I spent several days searching the net, with no success.  Many sites explain
the concept and theories regarding natd, but none gives you a detailed,
step-by-step instructions on how to establish the gateway.  Some site in
Ohio State has a really nice illustration, but the instructions are
confusing.
I have FreeBSD 4.5, and it has two NIC's: dc0 & dc1.
During the initial installation, I chose DHCP for dc1, and gave 192.168.1.1
to dc0, and chose "network gateway" option.
The dc0 (192.168.1.1) is connected to Win2k (192.168.1.2).
The dc1 (DHCP) is connected to the Road Runner Cable modem.
I'm able to surf the web on my FreeBSD computer.
The FreeBSD manual site says to issue the following command.
natd -interface dc1
That did not work, so I tried the following.
natd -dynamic -interface dc1
That also did not work.
Some web sites say to issue the following command.
natd -redirect_address 192.168.1.1 "roadrunner_IP_address"
That also did not work.  By the way, I had to issue the command ifconfig to
obtain the IP address that the ISP assigned to dc1, but wouldn't that change
if I were to reboot?
Some sites talk about -redirect_port and -redirect_proto options, but I
didn't quite understand that.
I made some changes to the rc.conf file, and I've attached it below.

gateway_enable="YES"
hostname="MyFreeBSD"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
firewall_quiet="NO"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="dc1"
natd_flags="-dynamic"
network_interfaces="dc0 dc1 lo0"
ifconfig_dc0="inet 192.168.1.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_dc1="DHCP"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
keymap="us.dvorak"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"

2. Gravis Ultra Pnp Setup

3. PLease help, Problems with network card adn net install of RH5.2

4. amd & cache:=regexp problem

5. big problems with network card - please help!

6. YDL yaboot with new apple firmware

7. Problems w/ 3Com 509b network card - please help

8. MOSIX ,process do not migrate

9. Network Card Problems - Please Help!

10. PLEASE PLEASE HELP--new to UNIX. Thanks

11. problem with compiling please help thanks

12. Problem, PLEASE HELP me with this, Thanks

13. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help