ppp: howto trace connection speed /connection time?

ppp: howto trace connection speed /connection time?

Post by Carsten Cimande » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi  Lin-u[x|s]er,

I use S.u.S.E. 5.3 (kernel 2.0.35) and ppp connections to my ISP.

All is running fine but I want more ;-) (Where do I want to configure
tomorrow...)

1) I would like to trace my time spent already in the internet :-))
   during the current session

2) I would also like to trace the current connection speed to my ISP

Have you any ideas howto?
Any ideas are welcome.

Regards,
Carsten

ppp: howto trace connection speed /connection time?

Post by Edward Gonzale » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Carsten,

pppstats will give you 'some' information..

Post by Graham Murra » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> pppstats will give you 'some' information..

But it does not give the connection speed.

Also is there any simple way of getting a real-time performance
display giving such details as Number of Duplicate bytes received,
number of re-transmissions requestedm, number of fragmented IP packets
etc?  I know that some of this can be found by examining the output of
tcpdump, but this is not a real-time display.

Post by Jameson Bur » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > pppstats will give you 'some' information..

> But it does not give the connection speed.

> Also is there any simple way of getting a real-time performance
> display giving such details as Number of Duplicate bytes received,
> number of re-transmissions requestedm, number of fragmented IP packets
> etc?  I know that some of this can be found by examining the output of
> tcpdump, but this is not a real-time display.

In Debian Linux, I use any of   pppstats -w 1
    xnetload ppp0     #showing input/output packets in a graph
    iptraf                       #run as root, giving bytes/sec, detailed
IP addresses communicating****
     pppload                 #qt based, giving 512 bits/line graph, total
bytes transmitted/received;
                                      #eg, 29.7k/3.7M
      mrtg                       #I've seen this mentioned but generally
requires someone run SNMP
                                       #It's next version  is supposed to
be easier to configure (too much for me now)
      xisp                         #if you use this to connect, I hear it
gives some statistics

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,         Fairfax, *ia, USA

"It is not the shortcomings of others, nor what others have done or not
 done that one should think about, but what one has done or not done oneself."
--Dhammapada   ["dp" command for quotes from the Dhammapada, in Linux]

1. RH5.1 PPP connection: PPP connection persists, telnet session times out

Ever since I installed RH 5.1 when I connect to an NT Server modem
port and authenticate with PAP/CHAP the physical line connection stays
up as before (5.0) but any telnet session to Unix machines on the same
network time out on inactivity in predictably 2 minutes and 10
seconds.  Since I had no such problems prior to 5.1 I'm wondering why
this is a different animal.  Also it does not help to ping the same
server on a 10 second interval -- the ping keeps on going but again
any telnet session times out.

Would be glad to supply any additional info.  I realize that this is
pretty sketchy but I'm not sure what sort of info would assist.

Thanks,
Kurt Berg

2. Errors on shutdown

3. Finger's Idle time on incoming PPP connections - what's the connection?

4. HELP:Threads: malloc, cout, printf

5. HELP: ppp scirpt: howto change ppp login name after connection

6. ATAPI CDROM -- Any progress made in 2.1.6

7. pppd connection speed howto know?

8. Netscape Music Plugin??

9. internet connection dies sometims after usenet connection times out

10. FTP: 425 Can't build data connection: Connection timed out.

11. ppp connection terminates after connection established

12. ISP connection sharing via a PPP connection with NULL-MODEM

13. PPP/SLIP connection from NT to SCO Unix through direct cable connection