Force 3c509 to see AUI port?

Post by Steve Dempse » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello all,

I'm running LINUX with a 3Com 3c509 card with AUI, BNC and RJ-45
connections.  During autoprobe, it detects the 10Base-T port and
sets it up.  From there on connectivity can only be established
via the 10Base-T.  I suppose for most people this is just right,
but in my application i have to use the 10Base5 AUI.  It just
doesn't work.  I looked at the driver source code available on
            http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/3c509.c
and see the detection routine does allow for AUI and BNC to be
discovered.  In my case, it never does, however. How do you make
it look beyond 10Base-T?  I'm not familiar enough with driver
source to play with it, so I'm really hoping there's a load option
I can use somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  If you can, I don't
have access to news in my lab, so please send a copy of responses to

--
                            ^^^^
                            0  0

Force 3c509 to see AUI port?

Post by Jos Hartma » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hello all,

> I'm running LINUX with a 3Com 3c509 card with AUI, BNC and RJ-45
> connections.  During autoprobe, it detects the 10Base-T port and
> sets it up.  From there on connectivity can only be established
> via the 10Base-T.  I suppose for most people this is just right,
> but in my application i have to use the 10Base5 AUI.  It just
> doesn't work.  I looked at the driver source code available on
>             http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/3c509.c
> and see the detection routine does allow for AUI and BNC to be
> discovered.  In my case, it never does, however. How do you make
> it look beyond 10Base-T?  I'm not familiar enough with driver
> source to play with it, so I'm really hoping there's a load option
> I can use somewhere.

> Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  If you can, I don't
> have access to news in my lab, so please send a copy of responses to

> --
>                             ^^^^
>                             0  0
>       Steve Dempsey             Mysterious Quote of the week:
> Lockheed Martin Corporation      "I move, mr chairman, that all
> Government Electronic Systems     fire extinguishers be examined
> Computer Systems Engineering      ten days before every fire."
>                                                - City councilman

use the setup disk that came with the card to configure it !