Need help: Tape backup in Linux

Post by Keith McDuffe » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to assist someone in backing up about 4 Linux systems (latest

Slackware release) on an 8gig DAT drive attached to one of the systems.
The drive is sen fine and works fine.

I'm used to making use of the 'dump' or 'rdump' program on Sun systems,
but Linux
doesn't seem to have that utility.  They want to back certain parts of
their systems incrementally and other days in full.  I'm hoping someone
here can offer a sample script of what they use for unattended
late-night backups of their linux systems or perhaps could recommend a
utility to use for this purpose.

Thanks. E-mail replies appreciated!

Keith McDuffee

1. Solstice Backup 5.1 / DMO 2.1/Oracle 8.1.5: Tape backup failed : Need of 5.5 Upgrade ?

Hi,

we have the following installation:

Backup Server with

Solaris 2.5.1
Solstice Backup  Server 5.1

Backup client with

Solaris 2.6
Solstice backup Client 5.1

DMO (Database modules for Oracle) 2.1 with the last Patches, which
should give the possibility of scheduled backups

Oracle 8.1.5

Our Problem is:

we cant make a tape-backup with allocate ...'sbt_tape'  startet over
rman. backups to disk are running fine.

Starting a backup over nwadmin we get an error, because there is no
given a user.

Has anybody made a tape-backup from rman or nwadmin, without upgrading
to Solstice Backup 5.5?

TIA,

Nele

2. connection refused

3. Need tape utility to read VMS BACKUP tape on Unix/Ultrix.

4. Samba Server

5. RMAN ( Oracle ) vs Solaris tape backup ... need your help !!!

6. Gentoo Linux 1.4 Release Candidate 1

7. Need help with doing a tape backup

8. RedHat 7.2 serial setup

9. Help needed getting VAX/VMS BACKUP tapes to Sys V

10. Help needed: Calorade tape backup program to work in DOSemu

11. Need help picking tape backup system...

12. need help with backup tapes in opnerserver 5

13. need help with travan backup tape