Configure of sendmail with local users *and* clientproto.mc

Configure of sendmail with local users *and* clientproto.mc

Post by Christian Joensson FOA 7 » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi there,

I've tried to configure sendmail 8.8.5 on a Linux system for a while now
and I start to give up. I would like to have the following
functionallity:

1) all mail, *except* mail to local users, should be delivered by my
host's sendmail to a specific host's sendmail, say
mailhost.the.domain.se

2) mail to local users should be put into the corresponding file in
/var/spool/mail

$myhost.the.domain.se, regardless if it was to a local user or not.

This is something quite similar to what you get with clientproto.mc but
the ``local users'' is missing. Since I'm behind a firewall, sendmail
cannot route outside the firewall, so I guess tcpproto.mc is out of the
question.

Any hints?

TIA,
-- =

Christian J=F6nsson
Div. of C&C Warf. Tech.
Dep't of Comm. Syst.

Configure of sendmail with local users *and* clientproto.mc

Post by Bob » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00

=2E> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 17:18:04 +0200

=2E> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
=2E> Subject: Configure of sendmail with local users *and* clientproto.mc
=2E>=20
=2E> Hi there,
=2E>=20
=2E> I've tried to configure sendmail 8.8.5 on a Linux system for a while
now
=2E> and I start to give up. I would like to have the following
=2E> functionallity:

1.  try the sendmail book !
2.  try the comp.mail.sendmail newsgroup

=2E>=20
=2E> 1) all mail, *except* mail to local users, should be delivered by my
=2E> host's sendmail to a specific host's sendmail, say
=2E> mailhost.the.domain.se
=2E>=20
=2E> 2) mail to local users should be put into the corresponding file in
=2E> /var/spool/mail
=2E>=20

=2E> $myhost.the.domain.se, regardless if it was to a local user or not.
=2E>=20
=2E>=20
=2E> This is something quite similar to what you get with clientproto.mc bu=
=2E> the ``local users'' is missing. Since I'm behind a firewall, sendmail
=2E> cannot route outside the firewall, so I guess tcpproto.mc is out of th=
=2E> question.
=2E>=20
=2E> Any hints?
=2E>=20
=2E> TIA,
=2E> --=20
=2E> Christian J=F6nsson
=2E> Div. of C&C Warf. Tech.
=2E> Dep't of Comm. Syst.
=2E>=20
=2E>=20

bob

                              |  http://www.norcom.net.au
Yes, I am on the interthingy  |  If it aint broke, fix it, then it will be

1. Configuring Sendmail-- Local Accept, Remote Timeout

Greetings all

Because I run a mud on one of my isp's linux boxes, I have recently
been given administration duties over it.  Anyway, one of my first
projects has been to move mailer duties off of the isp's primary
mail host, and onto this machine, namely bc users on the linux box
do not have accounts on the primary mailhost, and mail would bounce.

First some statistics on the linux:
Redhat 4.0, upgraded to kernel 2.0.27
Sendmail 8.7.3 (yes, I know I need to upgrade, but this is giving me
 a headache)
PAM (Pluggable Authenicaton Modules) installed

The problem:

originally, mail service of the linux box was rerouted via a MX record
on the main isp's computer.  When I discovered this (bounced mail
indicating so), I had the isp remove the MX record out of it's named
database.  Now, the mail is being routed to the correct place, however,
sendmail will not answer on port 25 for any domain outside of it's own.
ie say the linux box's name is linux.fake.com.  a telnet from
notlinux.fake.com to port 25 on linux results in linux immediately
"picking up" with the smtp service.  Also, a telnet to localhost on port
25 results in the same thing.  However, a connection from any other
domain results in the smtp service from never "picking up", the connection
simply times out.
I run Slack 3.0 upgraded to 2.0.29, etc etc.  Under a Slack box, Id have
a pretty good idea where to start looking as to why the service never
accepts connections outside it's immediate domain.  However, with PAM,
I don't have a clue.  Im not even sure if PAM has anything to do with
the smtp service.  As a further note, I do have sendmail running
successfully on my home slack box.

Any help, but RTFM, would be appreciated.
To help dispel those responses, I have done the following trying to
figure this out on my own:
1) man sendmail
2) man pam (no entry)
3) checked out Redhat's web page for revelant online documentation
4) checked the LDP for revelant online documentation
5) checked dejanews for matches of my problem
6) read the documentation found in /usr/lib/sendmail-cf

I am more than happy to read to solve my problem, but any hints, or
pointers to documentation would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

elm
--
Life is like a dance....
Got to take a chance....

2. apache + php / mysql + openssl / modssl

3. sendmail+IDA and local clients -- how to configure?

4. ATI all in wonder card

5. Tell "configure" to use /usr/local/lib/sparcv9/ instead of /usr/local/lib/

6. fp exception with xosview ?!

7. sendmail to local user thru squirrelmail

8. RH 5.1 config. modem & tapr back-up help

9. Sendmail problem - local users/Red Hat 4.1

10. sendmail - How to Limit MaxMessageSize for selected local (ab)users... ??

11. Sendmail only to local users question

12. NIS+sendmail problem on sun-4: cannot mail local users

13. sendmail and local users