sharing cdrwriter and scanner

Post by d » Thu, 01 Apr 2004 00:02:38

is it possibile to share a scanner and a cdwriter installed on a linux
machine with a win machine?

any software to do so?

thx

sharing cdrwriter and scanner

Post by John Thompso » Thu, 01 Apr 2004 03:00:09

Quote:> is it possibile to share a scanner and a cdwriter installed on a linux
> machine with a win machine?

> any software to do so?

Do you mean through a network?  Sane comes with the "saned" server that
allows network access to your scanner.  IIRC, there are also programs to
allow network access to a CD writer, but I'd be concerned about latency
issues here, unless you burn at a pretty low speed.

--

Post by Hetfiel » Thu, 01 Apr 2004 04:09:58

>> is it possibile to share a scanner and a cdwriter installed on a linux
>> machine with a win machine?

>> any software to do so?

> Do you mean through a network?  Sane comes with the "saned" server that
> allows network access to your scanner.  IIRC, there are also programs to
> allow network access to a CD writer, but I'd be concerned about latency
> issues here, unless you burn at a pretty low speed.

the speed is not a problem.
100mbit... about 5-6 mb/s

so i could burn at 8x with no problem.

how to do so?
--
-----------------
www.blight.tk

sharing cdrwriter and scanner

Post by Grant Edward » Thu, 01 Apr 2004 04:22:04

Quote:> the speed is not a problem.
> 100mbit... about 5-6 mb/s

> so i could burn at 8x with no problem.

I get FIFO underruns at 8X, but 4X works fine.

Quote:> how to do so?

Here's how I do it:

prog-that-generates-data | ssh othermachine cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,4,0 -

The ssh crypto stuff is probably slowings things down a bit...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hey!! Let's watch
                                  at               the' ELEVATOR go UP and

Post by Hetfiel » Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:34:21

>> the speed is not a problem.
>> 100mbit... about 5-6 mb/s

>> so i could burn at 8x with no problem.

> I get FIFO underruns at 8X, but 4X works fine.

>> how to do so?

> Here's how I do it:

> prog-that-generates-data | ssh othermachine cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,4,0 -

> The ssh crypto stuff is probably slowings things down a bit...

no not ssh....
ssh is not sharing!
i meant something like sharing printers...
printers are in the printer tab in windows...

so cdwriter in Nero menu too and similar...

that's much different
--
-----------------
www.blight.tk

Post by Alexander Cloute » Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:56:50

> no not ssh....
> ssh is not sharing!
> i meant something like sharing printers...
> printers are in the printer tab in windows...

> so cdwriter in Nero menu too and similar...

> that's much different

the question is why would you want to.  You really want to be infront of the
scanner when you scan things; to make slight adjustments if things do not
work nicely.  Imagine having to get out your seat, place image in scanner,
walk back to terminal, scan, find its fscked, get out of seat, adjust, and so
on.

As for CD burning, whats wrong with copying the ISO to the remote machine and
then simply either ssh'ing in and typing 'cdrecord blar blarblar' or walking
to the actual machine and doing it; you would have to walk to the machine
anyway?

Cheers

Alex

Post by Hetfiel » Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:59:42

>> no not ssh....
>> ssh is not sharing!
>> i meant something like sharing printers...
>> printers are in the printer tab in windows...

>> so cdwriter in Nero menu too and similar...

>> that's much different

> the question is why would you want to.  You really want to be infront of
> the scanner when you scan things; to make slight adjustments if things do
> not
> work nicely.  Imagine having to get out your seat, place image in scanner,
> walk back to terminal, scan, find its fscked, get out of seat, adjust, and
> so on.

> As for CD burning, whats wrong with copying the ISO to the remote machine
> and then simply either ssh'ing in and typing 'cdrecord blar blarblar' or
> walking to the actual machine and doing it; you would have to walk to the
> machine anyway?

> Cheers

> Alex

for cdwriting...my sister is not able to use linux and cdrecord.
i always put a blank cd in...so she can write it using nero or similar apps
--
www.blight.tk