display to other display (xon problem)

Post by Edvin Aldria » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I have problem with my Slackware 3.4 Linux. I can not display X windows
program onto other display nor can I display from other server to this
server. My SMTP server is in Sun Solaris server
and I would like to use command like
mailtool -display here:0.0 &
but such a command does not work. I used to work with FreeBSD server and
has no problem with that and I used command
xon server mailtool
this command worked well before in Free BSD but not in my Linux station.
I already set .rhost files
in both stations and set the /etc/hosts.allowed but nothing is working.
When I tried to display from Sun Solaris to this Linux station I got
this error messages

[1] 7684

server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
mailtool: Could not initialize Tool Talk: TT_ERR_NOMP (1033): ttsession
is not running
Xlib: connection to "mirai:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
XView error: Cannot open connection to window server: mirai:0.0 (Server
package)

if I tried from other Linux station, I got this message
mirai:~> xv -display xradar2:0.0 &
[1] 252
mirai:~> Xlib: connection to "xradar2:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xv: Can't open display

Anyone can help me please ???!!!!!??

Edvin Aldrian

Post by Roy Stogn » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>mirai:~> xv -display xradar2:0.0 &
>[1] 252
>mirai:~> Xlib: connection to "xradar2:0.0" refused by server
>Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

The problem with using things like "xon" or "xrsh" is that you lose
the chance to see what is going on underneath.  Basically, to do this
by hand you need to do two things:  You need to tell the server to
allow the client to connect, and you need to tell the client which
server to connect to.  The "-display servername" will do do the latter
on most X programs, but the general solution is to
"export DISPLAY=servername" or "setenv DISPLAY servername" to get all
future X clients to connect to that server.

To tell the server to allow the client to connect, the simplest way is
to run "xhost clientmachinename" from a terminal at the X server.  So,
to run an X program from another computer, I would:

localcomputer$ xhost remotecomputer
localcomputer$ rlogin remotecomputer
remotecomputer$ export DISPLAY=localcomputer:0.0
remotecomputer$ xv &

While I'm here and talking about X display authorization, I guess I'll
mention my own problem: I don't yet understand how the xauth mechanism
(or whatever it is used by xdm) works.  Apparantly it will let you
allow individual users at a remote computer access to an X server
without allowing the whole computer access... but how is it used in
practice?  You can always get around it with xhost, but I would
prefer a more specific display authorization in many cases.
---
Roy Stogner

Post by John C. Oxma » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I have problem with my Slackware 3.4 Linux. I can not display X windows
> program onto other display nor can I display from other server to this
> server. My SMTP server is in Sun Solaris server
> and I would like to use command like
> mailtool -display here:0.0 &
> but such a command does not work. I used to work with FreeBSD server and
> has no problem with that and I used command
> xon server mailtool
> this command worked well before in Free BSD but not in my Linux station.
> I already set .rhost files
> in both stations and set the /etc/hosts.allowed but nothing is working.
> When I tried to display from Sun Solaris to this Linux station I got
> this error messages

> [1] 7684

> server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> mailtool: Could not initialize Tool Talk: TT_ERR_NOMP (1033): ttsession
> is not running
> Xlib: connection to "mirai:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> XView error: Cannot open connection to window server: mirai:0.0 (Server
> package)

        man xhost

        That should help.

Quote:

> if I tried from other Linux station, I got this message
> mirai:~> xv -display xradar2:0.0 &
> [1] 252
> mirai:~> Xlib: connection to "xradar2:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> xv: Can't open display

> Anyone can help me please ???!!!!!??

> Edvin Aldrian

        -- John C. M. Oxman
|       All unrequested commercial email will be archived for a $50US   |
|       archiving fee.                                                  |

Post by Paul Kimo » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> While I'm here and talking about X display authorization, I guess I'll
> mention my own problem: I don't yet understand how the xauth mechanism
> (or whatever it is used by xdm) works.  Apparantly it will let you
> allow individual users at a remote computer access to an X server
> without allowing the whole computer access... but how is it used in
> practice?

Try reading "Improving X security using mit-magic-cookie and xauth", at
http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/matic/xsecur.htm .

--
|||    "It was not granted you to complete the task, and           |||
|||     yet you may not give it up."      --Rabbi Tarfon           |||

1. Display Problems Among Others Red Hat System 7.2 Plz Help

I have installed linux for quite some time but what keeps me from making it
the OS of choice is my inablity to set up the display correctly.  I have a
generic monitor (which i have the manual for) and a riva tnt 2 video card w/
32 MB's ram.  I have all the required setting by the Xconfigurator but I
have been unsuccesful in attaining the proper results.  I have also tried to
select other monitors and in some cases i get the proper display but when i
startx, the display is no longer clear (e.i. lines, multiple images, etc.).
But then if i start the terminal, su to become root and then run
Xconfigurator, the display adjusts, so i exit Xconfigurator w/out making
changes and it remains as it should be, except i have to do this evereytime
i start the x-server.

I have all the setting for my monitor
Hor. Freq        30-70
Ver. Ferq        50-120
resolution        multiple including 1024x768 / 43.5, 60, 70, 75, 85 Hz
                        1280x1024 / 60 Hz
                        Non - Interlaced

Area 300x225 mm
dot pitch 0.27 mm

I have tried editing the XFree86 file manually, i've used the Xconfigurator,
i've spent so much time on this its pathetic, but as u can see, i am really
excited about using linux

any help would be greatly appreciated, if u reply plz also forward message
to my email as i do not check this forum regularly, thank you very much for
taking the time to read this

2. Printing and PPP

3. Display problem among others

4. Beowulf using Multias?

5. Virtual display problem with notebook display and S3 Aurora 64V+ video card

6. Io8+ Isa for linux

7. Display problem : after changing display card

8. PCMCIA on HP Omnibook 4100

9. how display XWindow on Win2000 Display?

10. LG 700S monitor display does not work for 1024x768 display

11. displaying X prog on remote display

12. Can't open display, though DISPLAY defined...

13. change from DISPLAY 0 to DISPLAY 1 without CTRL+ALT+F?