Possible? Linux router using BOTH cable and DSL?

Possible? Linux router using BOTH cable and DSL?

Post by Thomas Rohric » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 05:47:18

Of course lots of people have used Linux to build a firewall/router box for
their connection to broadband internet, but I'm wondering if anybody has
ever done this to connect to *both* cable modem and DSL at the same time.
The idea would be to pull data through the fastest channel at any given
moment, and have some redundency in case one of the two services goes down
for a while.

Any thoughts on whether this is at all feasible using an old machine with
three NICs?

--
Thomas Rohricht - CO2 Creative
trohricht_(at)_co2creative_(dot)_com

Forward-thinking graphics and design

Possible? Linux router using BOTH cable and DSL?

Post by Rich Laffer » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 09:20:04

In can.internet.highspeed,

> Of course lots of people have used Linux to build a firewall/router box for
> their connection to broadband internet, but I'm wondering if anybody has
> ever done this to connect to *both* cable modem and DSL at the same time.
> The idea would be to pull data through the fastest channel at any given
> moment, and have some redundency in case one of the two services goes down
> for a while.

> Any thoughts on whether this is at all feasible using an old machine with
> three NICs?

I can't imagine why it *wouldn't*. The difficult part would be that
involving load balancing, but I'm sure you could at least use a naive
approach if it wasn't possible to do intelligently.

(I've got two connections and routes on one ADSL modem, just because I
can. I find that for a dedicated router, BSDs require much less effort
than Linux, for what its worth.)

  -Rich

--
Rich Lafferty ----------------------------------------
 Nocturnal Aviation Division, IITS Computing Services

1. DSL/Cable Router vs "Ordinary Router"

What is the difference between a DSL/Cable Router and a standard
router?  I am assuming that both of them have a WAN port(s), or a port
that can be configured for external communication and ports for the
internal network.  It doesn't appear that they are different in any
way.  You need a DSL or Cable modem with Ethernet output to connect to
a so-called DSL/Cable router.  RJ-45 connectors and CAT5 cabling
between the two.  You need ethernet to connect to any other router.
Can someone please explain the differnce?  Is it just a marketing
scheme?

Thanks
Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. what do you expect?

3. can I setup linux as a router to DSL and cable?

4. Interfacing f77 & Lisp: HowTo?

5. LINKSYS Cable/DSL 8 Port Router and LINUX...

6. X-term config problem

7. Linksys Cable/DSL router with Linux

8. how to change "unknown" for something else?

9. DSL Cable Router - Cannot resolve Win2k host names from Linux

10. Is the Hawking 10/100 DSL/Cable SOHO Router (model PN9225) Linux and FreeBSD friendly?

11. Setup printer attached to DSL/Cable router in Linux

12. Is the Hawking 10/100 DSL/Cable SOHO Router (model PN9225) Linux and FreeBSD friendly?

13. DSL/Cable modem router vs IP Masquerading