using slirp over telnet?

Post by Soren Aal » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I was wondering if thre is already a stock way of doing
the following kind of thing:

Suppose my machine already has a connection to the Net
(either to the ethernet on campus here or via dip/pppd
from home)  Is there any way to telnet to another host and
start slirp on it and then have my machine see that
slirp as one of it's net interfaces, route particular
traffic through that I/F, etc.

Why?  Well, for e.g., suppose I am on campus here at
U. of Zululand and the Uninet satellite link to the US
croaks and dies (not unknown).  I have an account on
an ISP in Cape Town.  If I could get the above kind of thing
to work, then I could proxy my traffic via them and
still see overseas sites.

I would guess that I can do this with term, no?  (haven't
looked at term much since I found slirp).  But I was
wondering if there is already an off-the-shelf way of doing
this with slirp.  If not, I guess I know what would be
involved, please tell me if I go offa the rails here:

-write a program that opens a pseudo-tty master side,
and then lets me open a telnet connection.  When I am
happy that I am logged in and talking to slirp on the
remote side, I suspend this and the program now reads
the pseudo-tty and sends all the slip packets it gets
over the telnet connection.  Likewise, everything it
reads from the telnet connection it writes onto it's end of
the pseudo-tty.

I can run something like dip on the other end of the pseudo-tty
and it should be happy, no?

I was wondering if such a thing had been done.  I was
also wondering if I should write such a thing?

Thanks,

Soren Aalto

1. Slirp: Dial with minicom to shell then telnet to other shell to use slirp?

I have a shell account which does not allow slirp so I have to telnet
to another shell account which allows it in order to be able to use
slirp.

All the instructions for slirp assume you dial directly to the shell
account which you'll use slirp in so I'm a bit at a loss as to how to
get this to work.

I don't know if this is the way to do it but I use Minicom to dial up
to my regular shell account, then once there I telnet to my other
shell account which is telnet only (no dialup) and I start slirp
from there, but it doesn't seem to be working....is there something
different I've go to do to make this work?

The only thing I'm doing different is I'm not using dip (the dialer).

Thanks

-Tony

2. setting DISPLAY when using rlogin

3. PPP+SLiRP OK but CSLIP+SLiRP has display problem

4. Netscape 6 on Ultra10/Solaris8

5. Slirp Slirp

6. Sendmail with POP?

7. SliRp/Minicom: Starting Slirp through minicom?

8. DNS reverse lookup for 255.255.0.0 network

9. Slirp Slirp

10. SLIRP THROUGH TELNET!!!!!

11. SLiRP: Can't make outside telnet connections?

12. slirp over telnet link?

13. Slirp-1.0c breaks telnet