win98 -> linux (samba) password requested, no user, no password works ...

win98 -> linux (samba) password requested, no user, no password works ...

Post by keithamyl.. » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

When I attempt to connect to my linux machine (Red Hat 6.2 running
samba) from my win98 machine, I get a network password gui.  There is no
user name to enter and all the passwords I use don't work.  What
password is being requested?  How do I make windows request a user with
the password?

Thanks,
Keith.

win98 -> linux (samba) password requested, no user, no password works ...

Post by 80-watt Hamste » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Had this same problem.  Eventually came up with this solution:

The samba documentation comes with a couple of .txt files that you
should read:  ENCRYPTION.txt and Win95.txt  They describe how to reset
WinX boxes to use plain text passwords.  ENCRYPTION.txt also talks about
security issues related to such an action.  But in either case,
encrypted or no, the WinX boxes need to have accounts (samba or both
UNIX and samba) on the server machine.  Once you have these set up, head
to /etc/smb.conf and locate and uncomment (or add) the line

username map = /path/filename

On my system it's /etc/smbusers, which is default for RH 6.2.  Here's
what my smbusers file looks like:

# Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
root = administrator admin
nobody = guest pcguest smbguest
m2 = "MT on M2"
noonan = "John Noonan"

Currently there are 2 Win98 boxes on my network, with NetBIOS names m2
and noonan, and the only network protocol for the NICs is TCP/IP.
(NetBUEI and IPX/SPX complicate things needlessly, as samba doesn't use
them.)  They log into MS Networking under the usernames MT on M2 and
John Noonan respectively.  These are what WinX sends to samba as the
username (which is why you don't see a place to provide one).  Since
samba is looking for usernames m2 and noonan, you have to add aliases
for those usernames in /etc/smbusers as described above.  The quotes are
only necessary if the MS Networking logins contain spaces.  Enter the
UNIX/samba password when it's asked for, and after a few seconds
(depending on the speed of your SMB server and network) you should be
able to see the accessible shares for that user.  Hope this helps!

--

The 80-Watt Hamster
Now Flame-Resistant!

win98 -> linux (samba) password requested, no user, no password works ...

Post by Michael Naughto » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:05:02

Make sure that you have an entry in your hosts (linux box) file for the
win98 machine. Make sure that Samba has Never, ever, ever use unencrypted
passwords. I have this exact same setup on my machines, works perfectly.

problems.