linux dhcp client clears NT dhcp server

Post by j.. » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 01:22:18

Hi
I hope this is the right NG to post this question

I have a linux box (SuSE 7.0) with  kernel 2.2.16 which is hooked
onto our local net.

My netadmin told me to use dhcp to get my (fixed)  ip address
and my hostname etc. After lots of trouble concerning the net we
found out that the hostname entry on the dhcp server is cleared
at a dhcp request from my box (in fact a couple of other linux
boxes suffer from the same problem.)

I turned off dhcp and use fixed data instead. All my network problems
have gone.

My netadmin says its the *y linux stuff thats always making trouble.
I just wonder how a dhcp client could be able to change data on the server
because I can't believe that linux is the culprit.

Is this just another dirty trick of Microsoft to discredit linux?
Does anyone know how to solve it?

linux dhcp client clears NT dhcp server

Post by wier.. » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:11:21

The return address

 is not reachable from outside

It should be