ip alias /virtual host/works on local net but not over our modem pool

ip alias /virtual host/works on local net but not over our modem pool

Post by Ken Plumbl » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have set - up ip aliasing to add a virtual host on our machine,

(ifconfig eth0:0 204.244.123.202
route add -host 204.244.123.202 dev eth0:0

as per the ip aliasing min how - to,  it works
fantastic on our internal network, and even from
behind our firewall,  I can ping the virtual host,
even access the virtual web host,  but if I log in
from one of dial - up lines,  it gives me the error
message that the host is either not responding or
is down, I also can't ping it, though if I use the
name rather than the address, our dns gives back the correct
address.

Help! I'm going nuts!

Ken

1. Virtual host on local net

I am on SuSE Linux 5.2, Apache 1.3.1, and the server on my local net is
192.168.1.1. The hostname of this server is 'runner.aaronsrod.com'.

In addition to http://runner.aaronsrod.com, I want a second virtual host
accessible as http://marathon.aaronsrod.com.

I have modified /etc/httpd/httpd.conf as follows:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.1

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/httpd/htdocs
ServerName runner.aaronsrod.com
ErrorLog /var/log/runner-error_log
TransferLog /var/log/runner-access_log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>

DocumentRoot /home/marathon/public_html
ServerName marathon.aaronsrod.com
ErrorLog /home/marathon/logs/marathon-error_log
TransferLog /home/marathon/logs/marathon-access_log
</VirtualHost>

However, this does not work. Entering:

http://www.marathon.aaronsrod.com

in my browser (Netscape 4.5b1) causes a nameserver access error.

Is what I am trying to do possible? If so, how do I make it work?

Thanks in advance,
Dwight
--

2. ARCserve on SCO: Good/Bad?

3. Configuring virtual hosts with ip-alias and ppp0

4. Four digit year from system

5. IP aliasing vs virtual hosting

6. News feed configuration

7. CGI-Virtual Host-IP Aliasing "Sorry....Cant run from here!"

8. getty and dial-in

9. Local Virtual Host (Named or IP)

10. howto - ip aliases for virtual hosts on 7.3

11. Virtual Hosts Again...and Linux and the IP aliasing patch

12. IP Alias / Virtual host Alternative

13. LINUX IP Masquerading works on dsl.net, not ameritech.net?