Setting up Hostname problems..

Post by Kenneth Blin » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

heya,

i've got a problem with setting up my linux box as a recognised host on the internet, if anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

here's the deal....

I've got a dial in account with an isp and have a static ip address. at home i run a standalone linux box through with i can dial in using a ppp connection to my provider.

when i'm connected i am able to get freinds to telnet to my machine using my ip address with no problems, but we are not able to communicate with each other using pine or talk (and other related apps). when i attempt to do this i get an
        'unknown server error'.  i think this has something to do with the way i've configured my hostname and my general network setup.  the only symptom of a problem that i can identify is that whenever i boot up linux i always get a message saying that 'my hostname does not exist, connection refused'

my hosts file in my /etc/ directory looks like this

127.0.0.1       loopback        localhost
xxx.xxx.xx.xxx  domain name of my isp

plus some other ip addresses with aliases that i telnet to regularly.

i'm not too cluey on how to properly configure the inet.rc files in my /etc/rc.d directory - should i be seting these up to properly configure my system?

i know this is a bit of a vague description here - but if anyone has any clues it would be too kewl :)

thanks alot

ken

ken
--

Post by Bagheer » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> heya,

Hi,

Though I'm a LINUX newbie myself, I'll give some input.  Maybe we can
both learn something here.

Quote:> i've got a problem with setting up my linux box as a recognised host on the internet, if anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

> here's the deal....

> I've got a dial in account with an isp and have a static ip address. at home i run a standalone linux box through with i can dial in using a ppp connection to my provider.

Sounds like the same setup I have, though I plan to use the PPP
connection to be a gateway (albeit a slow one) for the home LAN.

Quote:> when i'm connected i am able to get freinds to telnet to my machine using my ip address with no problems, but we are not able to communicate with each other using pine or talk (and other related apps). when i attempt to do this i get an
>         'unknown server error'.  i think this has something to do with the way i've configured my hostname and my general network setup.  the only symptom of a problem that i can identify is that whenever i boot up linux i always get a message saying that 'my hostname does not exist, connection refused'

My guess would be that there is no entry for your machine in the DNS.
My own ISP gives us fixed IP address, and when I try to telnet to my
machine using the 'name' it points me to the ISP's dialup server.  If
your friends system have an equilevent to your hosts file, you can just
add your name and IP in there.

Quote:> my hosts file in my /etc/ directory looks like this

> 127.0.0.1       loopback        localhost
> xxx.xxx.xx.xxx  domain name of my isp

> plus some other ip addresses with aliases that i telnet to regularly.

Hard to say whether it's right or not.  I used 'control-panel' in X
(part of the RedHat 4.1 distribution) to configure my PPP connection.

Quote:> i'm not too cluey on how to properly configure the inet.rc files in my /etc/rc.d directory - should i be seting these up to properly configure my system?

Neither am I, mate.  The control-panel utility takes care of a lot of
the file writing, and I still haven't figured out exactly what
everything does.

Quote:> i know this is a bit of a vague description here - but if anyone has any clues it would be too kewl :)

> thanks alot

No worries.  I just hope I've been of some help - and someone who
actually knows what they're doing will respond.

Quote:> ken

Good luck,
Mike

Post by Ong Lon Voo » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>I've got a dial in account with an isp and have a static ip address. at home i run a standalone linux box through with i can dial in using a ppp connection to my provider.

>when i'm connected i am able to get freinds to telnet to my machine using my ip address with no problems, but we are not able to communicate with each other using pine or talk (and other related apps). when i attempt to do this i get an
>    'unknown server error'.  i think this has something to do with the way i've configured my hostname and my general network setup.  the only symptom of a problem that i can identify is that whenever i boot up linux i always get a message saying that 'my hostname does not exist, connection refused'

>my hosts file in my /etc/ directory looks like this

>127.0.0.1   loopback        localhost
>xxx.xxx.xx.xxx      domain name of my isp

Do a 'host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' from another machine (not yours) and see if
there is a hostname already set up. Just stick that hostname into your
/etc/hosts like this:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx hostname.returned.by.host.command

If not, you can use the free Dynamic DNS at http://www.netspire.com.sg/IP
(ok... this is a plug!) :-)
NetSpire Communications               | Ong Lon Voon

Singapore 427437                      | Network & Systems

1. My hostname will not set; dip error "must set HOSTNAME first"

I am trying to set up the NET-2 stuff to get a slip connection
going and have a couple questions.

Everything seems to have gone well, but when I get all the way
to using dip, and typing "mode SLIP", I get the error message
"must set HOSTNAME first".

Now, HOSTNAME is set in my environment, I have even exported it.
I have a file /etc/HOSTNAME with one line in it:
boo.ori.org

My hosts file looks like so:
192.68.202.232          boo
192.68.202.0            network
127.0.0.1               localhost

Running ifconfig gives me this:
lo        IP ADDR 127.0.0.1  BCAST 127.255.255.255  NETMASK 255.0.0.0
          MTU 2000  METRIC 0  POINT-TO-POINT ADDR 0.0.0.0
          FLAGS: 0x0049 ( UP LOOPBACK RUNNING )

Anyone have an idea of what is going on?

2. rpc.portmap

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. LVM & LINUX

5. /bin/hostname -S won't set hostname

6. Mesa from XFree86-4.0.1

7. Set up DNS to resolve hostname to hostname:port?

8. Update of DISK microcode on B80

9. dip says 'set HOSTNAME', but it's set

10. Setting up Hostname problems..

11. Set PS1 to hostname problem

12. diff -rcN ups-2.45.2/Makefile ups/Makefile

13. APC USB ups, Back-UPS ES series, 2.5.68