Printing to an AppleTalk Printer

Post by Peter Corneliu » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to print to an Apple LaserWriter on our network.  I took a
look at netatalk but the README.LINUX file said I should be able to do
without it because the newer Linux kernels support AppleTalk.  I cannot,
however, find any information on how to interface with AppleTalk
printers.  I'm at a loss and don't know where to start.  Can someone
point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.

Printing to an AppleTalk Printer

Post by N8QN » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Yes, the new linux kernels support appletalk.... partly.
You still net netatalk to complete the connection.  The newer linux
kernels (you probably have to recompile with it enabled)support DDP,
the low level appletalk protocol.  You will still need netatalk to implement
the high level appletalk protocols.  Look in the README file from
netatalk, that has an ascii chart showing how its implemented and how
to install it.

Matthew Srebinski, N8QNU

1. Can you print to an Appletalk printer?

Can you print from Solaris 2.5 over the Ethernet BNC cabling to an
Appletalk printer? If so, what is involved in a hardware adaptor, and
software setup? (Just the basics for now, just want to know if it is possible)

Thanks.

2. C sockets API

3. Printing to an AppleTalk printer

4. Q: mount netware drive on unix?

5. kd2 xf86 4.0.1, kdm probs

6. (not) Printing to an appletalk printer

7. bringing up a new hme interface

8. Printing to Appletalk printer

9. printing from linux box to appletalk printer

10. Printing to Appletalk printer

11. Printing from RH5.2 to Appletalk printers with netatalk???

12. printing to AppleTalk printer