DHCPD as a replacement to BOOTP

Post by Frank Westheide » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

HI Folks.

I'v set up a BOOTP-Server to boot my alpha from. Everything works fine.
Now i want to plug-in my laptop in my home-net where it gets other
IP-Adresse etc.
as in the company. So i decided to setup a DHCP-Server.
The DHCP-Config was no problem, DHCP works, but my old alpha requests data
via BOOTP (which should be a subset of DHCP)
but didn't get the bootfile-parameters right (TFTP-Boot). Is there a trick
to enable booting via DHCP via BOOTP with fixed addresses ??

Thanks
   Frank

DHCPD as a replacement to BOOTP

Post by Rainer Krien » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> HI Folks.

> I'v set up a BOOTP-Server to boot my alpha from. Everything works fine.
> Now i want to plug-in my laptop in my home-net where it gets other
> IP-Adresse etc.
> as in the company. So i decided to setup a DHCP-Server.
> The DHCP-Config was no problem, DHCP works, but my old alpha requests data
> via BOOTP (which should be a subset of DHCP)
> but didn't get the bootfile-parameters right (TFTP-Boot). Is there a trick
> to enable booting via DHCP via BOOTP with fixed addresses ??

> Thanks
>    Frank

The dhcp server will server bootp request automatically for all clients that
have fixed addresses like

 host xyz {hardware ethernet 0:a0:c7:db:f4:b2;fixed-address 192.168.64.40;}

 If you want to use bootp for dynamic addresses as well you have to specify the
 dynamic-bootp - Option in the range statement, like

 range dynamic-bootp 192.168.17.1 192.168.17.49;

The syntax given is tested on a dhcp Server version 3, but I think for this
purpose it wasn't different for the dhcp version 2 server.

Regards
Rainer

Universitaet Koblenz,              http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Rechenzentrum,                     Voice: +49 261 287 - 1312
Rheinau 1, 56075 Koblenz, Germany  Fax:   +49 261 287 - 1001312