Load balancing over multiple ISDNs?

Post by T. Feis » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Greetings.

In an attempt to further my network performance, and the fact that we have
something like
5 individual ISDN lines lying around the place in various inaccessible
cupboards, a
cunning thought along the lines of "Hey, why don't I use all of these at
once" struck me.
Is there anyone out there who could explain the basics of load balancing,
and if I could
possibly apply it to this situation.  There is something in the advanced
routing howto
about traffic shaping, which from what i gather, amounts to pretty much the
same thing,
but its slightly over my head, and a nice simple start would be nice.

The equipment consists of a 761 Cisco isdn router, an 800 series router, and
whatever
I can lay my hands on cheaply for the rest of them.  I suspect whichever TA
i can find that
works under Linux will be snaffled forthwith.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks to anyone who could possibly help me.

Tom Feist
--
Linux Newbie. Sysadmin Wannabe. Monkey for hire.

Load balancing over multiple ISDNs?

Post by Fris » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

 The README.eql (EQL Driver: Serial IP Load Balancing HOWTO) by Simon "Guru

Index. However it is included with the Linux kernel sources under
.../drivers/net/README.eql
... so that's probably your best bet. Naturally the sources to the driver
are also included therein. This README doesn't appear to have been updated
since 1995.
Note that this requires support from your ISP. In other words, to use EQL
to effectively double you bandwidth, you need support for the same version
of EQL load balancing at each end of the connection. Most ISP's are likely
to be somewhat averse to this prospect (or to charge extra) since you'll be
taking up two of their modems while connected over EQL.
Another thing to consider is the difference between latency and bandwidth.
Bandwidth refers to the amount of data that can be transmitted over a
communications channel in a given amount of time. Latency refers to the
propagation delay --- the amount of time before the first bits get to one
end or the other of the channel.
EQL can provide more bandwidth. However modem latency is pretty high and
nothing can improve that within the constraints of the current standards.

Load balancing over multiple ISDNs?

Post by George Csahani » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I'm using eql to combine two V.34 modems doing dialup to a remote office on
an internal network. EQL on both ends. It was a huge pain in the *to set
up due to the fact that I hired an expert to configure the thing. He did, it
didn't he disappeared, and used command syntax that wasn't anywhere close to
what is in the HOWTO. Caused huge confusion, and I spent much time
re-config. It DOES work, however. I'm not entirely sure of the commands,
there is no faq/readme/howto/man on it. Instead of eql_enslave he used the
command tc. It works, but not sure how/why.

I get these to sometimes come up at 28.8, most times 26.4 and 14.4, any como
for the two modems. I get thruput of up to 170kbps when ftping an ascii
file, as low as 50kbps on zipped files.

But, as the other person stated, the ISP needs to be waiting for it. When I
used ISDN I had to pay extra for 2 B channels. My modem did the combining.

-GC

Quote:> Greetings.

> In an attempt to further my network performance, and the fact that we have
> something like
> 5 individual ISDN lines lying around the place in various inaccessible
> cupboards, a
> cunning thought along the lines of "Hey, why don't I use all of these at
> once" struck me.
> Is there anyone out there who could explain the basics of load balancing,
> and if I could
> possibly apply it to this situation.  There is something in the advanced
> routing howto
> about traffic shaping, which from what i gather, amounts to pretty much
the
> same thing,
> but its slightly over my head, and a nice simple start would be nice.

> The equipment consists of a 761 Cisco isdn router, an 800 series router,
and
> whatever
> I can lay my hands on cheaply for the rest of them.  I suspect whichever
TA
> i can find that
> works under Linux will be snaffled forthwith.

> Any suggestions welcome. Thanks to anyone who could possibly help me.

> Tom Feist
> --
> Linux Newbie. Sysadmin Wannabe. Monkey for hire.

1. Load balancing router for multiple WWW servers

Is it possible to configure a linux router so that
incoming connections to a WWW server IP are "masqueraded"
between multiple servers?

For example the ideal situation would look like this:

                     INET

                   Linux Router
                    /        \
               ApacheSrv1   ApacheSrv2

As WWW requests come from the INET I would like the router
to randomly select ApacheSrv1 or 2 and then use IP masquerading
to establish the connection.

This could be very useful when you have a site that cannot
be serviced by a single WWW server. While the feature
is a very simple variation of the "masquerade"
feature.

-Chris

2. Diamond SpeedStar A50 AGP

3. load balancing multiple sparc20's single host image ?

4. NetBSD on CompactPCI ?

5. Load balanced HTTPS servers ... single or multiple server certificates ?

6. Samba 2.0.7/RH7.0 and W2K

7. Load balancing with multiple routers

8. LAN Card Configuration on UnixWare 2.1

9. load balancing multiple ethernet cards

10. Combine multiple Internet connections for load balancing and failover.

11. DSL multiple connection router load balancing

12. load balancing (aggregation) for multiple pppoe connections to same ISP

13. load balancing - multiple modems w/2 linux boxes