Any way to allow root rsh/rlogin in RH6.0??

Any way to allow root rsh/rlogin in RH6.0??

Post by Will Wallac » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

        I have a few boxes on a private network for running some batch jobs
where security is not a concern. Is there a way to allow root access via
telnet, rsh and rlogin?

        I have tried modifying files in /etc/pam.d as well as /etc/securettys
and creating a .rhosts file in /root and nothing seems to work. I know this is
absurd from a security standpoint but the boxes are on their own lan.

Thanks,

Will

Any way to allow root rsh/rlogin in RH6.0??

Post by gordon_a.. » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Try using secure shell.  It checks permissions, and the ecrypted keys
add some security.  You can ssh as root in RH 6.0.

Quote:> Hello,

>    I have a few boxes on a private network for running some batch
jobs
> where security is not a concern. Is there a way to allow root access
via
> telnet, rsh and rlogin?

>    I have tried modifying files in /etc/pam.d as well as
/etc/securettys
> and creating a .rhosts file in /root and nothing seems to work. I
know this is
> absurd from a security standpoint but the boxes are on their own lan.

> Thanks,

> Will

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. How do you allow root to rsh/rcp/rlogin/etc?

Solaris ships much more secure than SunOS by default.  This is a good thing.
However, it is very much a pain for our purposes that root cannot use rlogin
or rsh or rcp to access a Solaris machine.  This is probably in the Answerbook
CDROM, but we keep bugging our rep for it and he never seems to get around to
providing one for us....*sigh*  Anyway, I checked to see if the ways I know
from other Unixes would help here, but it doesn't help, I can't seem to make
non-console logins 'secure'.  Any help out there?

| Doug Siebert                             | "I don't have to take this abuse |

|     ICBM:  41d 39m 55s N, 91d 30m 43s W  |  me!"  Bill Murray, Ghostbusters |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

2. AIX 4.x Modem/Communications Problem

3. root-rsh/rlogin for rdist

4. St(r)aying icon!

5. root rsh and/or rlogin in RedHat 4.0

6. find host from which I've did rlogin.

7. How-to Request: Root rsh/rlogin access on RH 7.1

8. gcc lib missing

9. rsh, rlogin for root?

10. Allowing root rlogins on Solaris 7

11. PAM - root rsh/rlogin

12. allow root rlogin from certain hosts?

13. Unable to rsh or rlogin as root