mount says /dev/sbpcd is mounted, but it's not!

mount says /dev/sbpcd is mounted, but it's not!

Post by Bryson Bor » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

dear folks,

periodically (like once a month or so) i try to mount a cdrom and i get

whitelight:~# sudo mount /dev/cdrom
mount: /dev/sbpcd already mounted or /cdrom busy
whitelight:~#

but /dev/cdrom isn't mounted, nor is /cdrom busy.  here's the output of
mount:

whitelight:~# mount
/dev/hdb3 on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /home type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdb4 on /usr/local type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (ro)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /dos type msdos (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /win type vfat (rw,umask=002)
whitelight:~#

there's nothing wierd in /etc/mtab either.  this behavior doesn't go away
until i reboot.  this usually happens when i've been running a cd-audio
player and haven't exited it properly (e.g. a crtl-c from the xterm from
which i started it up).  just now, i tried mounting the cdrom and i got a
seg fault.  from now on i get this message; very annoying.

i have and old, old, old 2x soundblaster (matsushita) cdrom with the
proprietary interface (non-IDE).  /dev/cdrom is a symlink to /dev/sbpcd.
any advice would be appreciated.  thanks.

----this message consists of up to 60% post-consumer electrons----

1. 'mount' say NO iso9660 support and 'cat /proc/filesystems' say YES!!!

Hello

While I was fighting to get the CDROM (Sony CDU76E ATAPI CD) to be mounted
I found in the README file in device dir that the ATAPI CDs connected to the
second IDE interface should be drived by /dev/hdc, when I did and mount gives
this message

mount: iso9660 is not supported bt this kernel.

I installed InfoMagic Slakeware 2.2.1 (March 95 CDs).
While The kernel say it knows about the iso9660. I did

cat  /proc/filesystems

and iso9660 appeared as a block fs.

Before the /cdrom was linked to /dev/hd1a  ( done by the setup) and I was
getting the message

mount: /dev/hd1a is not a block device.

Any Clue.

I'm going to install the 1.2.10 kernel.

Thanks
Mostafa

2. GPLed small business accounting software for Linux???

3. mount: /dev/sbpcd is not a valid block device -- help

4. Diamond GL 1000 Pro and SCSI problem

5. Help, can't mount /dev/sbpcd ?

6. E-Mail Disasters.

7. Help, can't mount /DEV/SBPCD ?

8. Midnight Commander not in color

9. Error mounting floppy, it says /dev/fd0 not a block device.

10. mount says 'device not configured'

11. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

12. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device