NT VPN server behind Linux firewall.. help?

NT VPN server behind Linux firewall.. help?

Post by Kevin Truon » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:29:25

Anyone has successfully set this up?  I want remote users to be able to
connect to the VPN server on the NT machine.  The NT machine sits behind
the Linux firewall with a private IP address.  I am able to get the VPN
client to connect to the VPN server, but it fails at when it tries to
verify the username and password.  Then it will time out saying the server
is not responding.  I know the VPN server is working correctly.  Having
the NT machine directly connected to the internet, it works fine.  But
when I put it behind the firewall it stops working.  So, I am assuming
there is something wrong with my firewall script?  Any help is
appreciated.  Thanks.

-kevin

NT VPN server behind Linux firewall.. help?

Post by Michael Muelle » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:57:42

Hi Kevin,

> connect to the VPN server on the NT machine.  The NT machine sits behind
> the Linux firewall with a private IP address.  I am able to get the VPN
> client to connect to the VPN server, but it fails at when it tries to
> verify the username and password.  Then it will time out saying the server

You need IPfwd from http://cag.lcs.mit.edu/~cananian/Projects/IPfwd/ to
forward the GRE packets to the internal machine.

Have a look at
ftp://ftp.rubyriver.com/pub/jhardin/masquerade/ip_masq_vpn.html too,
there is a list of what you have to forward to the internal VPN server
in order to get it working.

Malware

1. FTP server behind linux firewall communicating w/ FTP behind linux firewall

I have a Windows-based FTP server (G6) behind a linux firewall box
running ipchain and ipmasqadm portfw rules to enable communication
with the out side world. I can connect to this server from the
outside, but PASV doesn't work. I have rules that allow ports above
1023 for the PASV traffic and I also had put the FTP server on a
haigher port other than 21.  I portfw'd the same port through to the
internal Windows machine running the ftp server as well as forwarding
the ftp-data. I have the ip_masq_ftp module loaded. I'm not sure why
PASV doesn't work.

Also, the other thing I'm trying to get working is communicating with
this same FTP server from a client within another linux-firewalled
(also using ipchains and portfw rules) LAN. I can connect, but can't
get any data transfers going, including directory listings, using
either PASV or regular FTP. I'm not sure if I should be forwarding
ftp-data to the internal machine running the ftp client.

What I ultimately want to do is be able to connect from a client
within on linux firewalled LAN to an ftp server inside another linux
firewalled LAN on a non-standard port and using PASV if possible. Any
help would be appreciated.

2. Linux compatible with Aha1542 Bios 3.20 ?

3. Help: VPN server behind Linux firewall..

4. chown/chgrp ?

5. Windows 2000 Vpn server behind Linux firewall

6. Problem with mail/router

7. Accessing NT Server Behind Linux Firewall

8. problem Installing RH6 via FTP

9. Can't reach MS VPN server behind IPTABLES firewall

10. VPN server behind firewall

11. Unable to access my VPN server from behind the firewall (ipf)

12. Linux Firewall settings to allow PPTP VPN acces to NT Server?

13. Private VPN Server behind RH7.1 Firewall Problem