ftp from behind a firewall?

Post by Roberto Pava » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello.  I'm having a little trouble getting ftp to work from behind a
firewall.  I have gotten it to work through Netscape Communicator, ie.
I know the firewall computer's name, and the port to use, but I have no
idea how to make it work using the regular ftp utility.  I would like to
get this working, because it is sort of a hassle downloading one file at
a time.  Thanks for your responses.

Roberto
DKFZ-Heidelberg

ftp from behind a firewall?

Post by Wayne D. Hoxsie J » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:32:29 +0200, Roberto Pavan

>Hello.  I'm having a little trouble getting ftp to work from behind a
>firewall.  I have gotten it to work through Netscape Communicator, ie.
>I know the firewall computer's name, and the port to use, but I have no
>idea how to make it work using the regular ftp utility.  I would like to
>get this working, because it is sort of a hassle downloading one file at
>a time.  Thanks for your responses.

If the firewall has an assigned port (say 8021) for ftp proxying, then
try:

 <ftp firewall.box 8021
 >220 Firewall Brand FTP Gateway ready
 >Name (none):

 >331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
 >Password:

This is how we do it with our firewall proxy agent.  Different proxys
may be different.  If you have a web proxy setup for http and ftp
access, then I don't think you can use the ftp service from normal ftp
clients, but I could be wrong.

--
Wayne D. Hoxsie Jr.  KG9ME

http://www.hoxnet.com

ftp from behind a firewall?

Post by Rani Ass » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Hello. I'm  having a little  trouble getting ftp  to work from  behind a
>firewall. I have gotten it to  work through Netscape Communicator, ie. I
>know the firewall computer's name, and the port to use, but I have no

You probably want to use passive  mode (issue the PASV command). You must
look at your client to see if he can handle this.

A+
Rani

ftp from behind a firewall?

Post by Roberto Pava » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:32:29 +0200, Roberto Pavan

> >Hello.  I'm having a little trouble getting ftp to work from behind a
> >firewall.  I have gotten it to work through Netscape Communicator, ie.
> >I know the firewall computer's name, and the port to use, but I have no
> >idea how to make it work using the regular ftp utility.  I would like to
> >get this working, because it is sort of a hassle downloading one file at
> >a time.  Thanks for your responses.

> If the firewall has an assigned port (say 8021) for ftp proxying, then
> try:

>  <ftp firewall.box 8021
>  >220 Firewall Brand FTP Gateway ready
>  >Name (none):

>  >331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
>  >Password:

> This is how we do it with our firewall proxy agent.  Different proxys
> may be different.  If you have a web proxy setup for http and ftp
> access, then I don't think you can use the ftp service from normal ftp
> clients, but I could be wrong.

  Perfect!  Thanks!

Now - any idea how to make this work with progs. like xdir, xftp, etc?

Roberto

ftp from behind a firewall?

Post by Mark Hartiga » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I just read something about this yesterday in the Red Hat 5.0
IP-Masquerading HOWTO. I'm not at home (where the machine is) so I can't
swear to this, but I seem to remember it saying that certain things don't
work through a Linux firewall, one of them being WS_Ftp to certain ftp
sites. They also made the comment that it usually works through Netscape.

Look through the HOWTO and see if you can find this.

>Hello.  I'm having a little trouble getting ftp to work from behind a
>firewall.  I have gotten it to work through Netscape Communicator, ie.
>I know the firewall computer's name, and the port to use, but I have no
>idea how to make it work using the regular ftp utility.  I would like to
>get this working, because it is sort of a hassle downloading one file at
>a time.  Thanks for your responses.

>Roberto
>DKFZ-Heidelberg

1. FTP server behind linux firewall communicating w/ FTP behind linux firewall

I have a Windows-based FTP server (G6) behind a linux firewall box
running ipchain and ipmasqadm portfw rules to enable communication
with the out side world. I can connect to this server from the
outside, but PASV doesn't work. I have rules that allow ports above
1023 for the PASV traffic and I also had put the FTP server on a
haigher port other than 21.  I portfw'd the same port through to the
internal Windows machine running the ftp server as well as forwarding
the ftp-data. I have the ip_masq_ftp module loaded. I'm not sure why
PASV doesn't work.

Also, the other thing I'm trying to get working is communicating with
this same FTP server from a client within another linux-firewalled
(also using ipchains and portfw rules) LAN. I can connect, but can't
get any data transfers going, including directory listings, using
either PASV or regular FTP. I'm not sure if I should be forwarding
ftp-data to the internal machine running the ftp client.

What I ultimately want to do is be able to connect from a client
within on linux firewalled LAN to an ftp server inside another linux
firewalled LAN on a non-standard port and using PASV if possible. Any
help would be appreciated.

2. problem to access linux box with win2k

3. FTP server behind on firewall FTP client behind another

4. Redhat Hangs During Installation

5. FreeBSD and natd - routing from behind firewall to behind firewall.

6. SuSE setup disk download

7. FTP - Client and FTP server behind firewalls

8. alternative to hosts for rarp.d?

9. FTP not working behind MASQ firewall

10. Setting up an FTP server from behind an ISP's firewall

11. Accesing FTP server behind firewall

12. FTP client behind secure firewall?

13. FTP Server Behind Firewall