YA 3com 509 problem

Post by Rick Wessma » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I'm running into a problem getting SuSe 6.3 to recognize my 3COM 509-TPO
NIC. I can ping "localhost" but any other address reports "network is
unreachable."

Unfortunately, the version of the 3COM NIC software that I have does not
support running the command "3c5x9cfg /pnp:disable". When I run the GUI tool
to set PnP to disabled, Windoze 98 can't see the network either and Linux
still does not work.

Any help would be appreciated.
                                Rick

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.

YA 3com 509 problem

Post by William Pa » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

: I'm running into a problem getting SuSe 6.3 to recognize my 3COM 509-TPO
: NIC. I can ping "localhost" but any other address reports "network is
: unreachable."

: Unfortunately, the version of the 3COM NIC software that I have does not
: support running the command "3c5x9cfg /pnp:disable". When I run the GUI tool
: to set PnP to disabled, Windoze 98 can't see the network either and Linux
: still does not work.

: Any help would be appreciated.
: --
:                                 Thanks,
:                                 Rick

I have 509b using coax port.  I had to download 2 disk sets (EtherDisk
6.1 -- 3c509x1.exe and 3c509x2.exe) from 3Com website and configure the
card from DOS.

William Park
--

YA 3com 509 problem

Post by Stefan Lueghaus » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Rick Wessman wrote on 27 Dec 1999 06:46:15 -0800
in "comp.os.linux.networking" on "YA 3com 509 problem":

The command  is "3c5x9cfg configure /pnp:disable". Look at "pnpdsabl.bat".

But it seems that I have exactly the same problem. The installation wizard of
3com tells me, the installation is all right. During diagnostics only the
network test fails, NIC test is ok. Even the IP-test to my server and/or to my
DNS host is ok. But unter win98 I can ping only localhost :-(. Very often the
ping command tries to start a PPP-connection to my provider. Until now I don't
know how to fix the ping to the NIC.

Any ideas?

Quote:>I'm running into a problem getting SuSe 6.3 to recognize my 3COM 509-TPO
>NIC. I can ping "localhost" but any other address reports "network is
>unreachable."

>Unfortunately, the version of the 3COM NIC software that I have does not
>support running the command "3c5x9cfg /pnp:disable". When I run the GUI tool
>to set PnP to disabled, Windoze 98 can't see the network either and Linux
>still does not work.

>Any help would be appreciated.
>--
>                                Thanks,
>                                Rick

>     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
>                         those of Oracle Corporation.

Bis dann mal

  Stefan                 <PGP-Public-Key => subject:SEND KEY>

http://home.t-online.de/home/slueghausen

YA 3com 509 problem

Post by Thomas Yi » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Well, I got problem with my 3com 509 ISA card too.
I disabled PNP, but it does NOT help. So, don't worry
if you don't know how or can't, because it may not work even
if you disable PNP.

I try zillions of ther combination of configuration (including
IRQ, port number, PNP enabled, disabled. None work)
Though, I'm sure some luckly guys out there can get their 509 work
at the first time. But, if you can't get 509 work, I can tell you: you're
not alone......

First, I bet all of you are using Linux with kernel 2.2.xx.
It seem that 3com 509 card have problem with Linux kernel 2.2.xx.
(or vice versa).

According to Redhat's web site, 3com 509 was an Tier 1 supported
ethernet card for Redhat 5.2, which mean it is officially supported by
Redhat.

However, for RedHat 6.1 (which use kernel 2.2.xx), 3com 509 was dropped
to Tier 3 supported hardware. It obvious to me that other people have
problem
with it, so RedHat don't support it.

But, before you give up, you should  try
"cat /proc/irq" to see if your ethernet card's irq is listed, if it do,
you're lucky,
because you card is detected. And, can't ping localhost may only be a
configuration
problem in your computer.

Otherwise, you may consider Linux with older (2.0.x) kernel...

Quote:> Rick Wessman wrote on 27 Dec 1999 06:46:15 -0800

Post by Rick Wessma » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Well, I got problem with my 3com 509 ISA card too.
> I disabled PNP, but it does NOT help. So, don't worry
> if you don't know how or can't, because it may not work even
> if you disable PNP.

> I try zillions of ther combination of configuration (including
> IRQ, port number, PNP enabled, disabled. None work)
> Though, I'm sure some luckly guys out there can get their 509 work
> at the first time. But, if you can't get 509 work, I can tell you: you're
> not alone......

> First, I bet all of you are using Linux with kernel 2.2.xx.
> It seem that 3com 509 card have problem with Linux kernel 2.2.xx.
> (or vice versa).

Yep. I'm using SuSe 6.3 which is 2.2.13.

Quote:

> According to Redhat's web site, 3com 509 was an Tier 1 supported
> ethernet card for Redhat 5.2, which mean it is officially supported by
> Redhat.

> However, for RedHat 6.1 (which use kernel 2.2.xx), 3com 509 was dropped
> to Tier 3 supported hardware. It obvious to me that other people have
> problem
> with it, so RedHat don't support it.

So, probably Suse doesn't either.

Quote:

> But, before you give up, you should  try
> "cat /proc/irq" to see if your ethernet card's irq is listed, if it do,
> you're lucky,
> because you card is detected. And, can't ping localhost may only be a
> configuration
> problem in your computer.

I'll give it a shot.

Quote:

> Otherwise, you may consider Linux with older (2.0.x) kernel...

Unfortunately, I need USB support which only 6.3 provides so I'll probably
switch over to another NIC.

> > Rick Wessman wrote on 27 Dec 1999 06:46:15 -0800
> > in "comp.os.linux.networking" on "YA 3com 509 problem":

> > The command  is "3c5x9cfg configure /pnp:disable". Look at "pnpdsabl.bat".

> > But it seems that I have exactly the same problem. The installation wizard
> of
> > 3com tells me, the installation is all right. During diagnostics only the
> > network test fails, NIC test is ok. Even the IP-test to my server and/or
> to my
> > DNS host is ok. But unter win98 I can ping only localhost :-(. Very often
> the
> > ping command tries to start a PPP-connection to my provider. Until now I
> don't
> > know how to fix the ping to the NIC.

> > Any ideas?

> > >I'm running into a problem getting SuSe 6.3 to recognize my 3COM 509-TPO
> > >NIC. I can ping "localhost" but any other address reports "network is
> > >unreachable."

> > >Unfortunately, the version of the 3COM NIC software that I have does not
> > >support running the command "3c5x9cfg /pnp:disable". When I run the GUI
> tool
> > >to set PnP to disabled, Windoze 98 can't see the network either and Linux
> > >still does not work.

> > >Any help would be appreciated.
> > >--
> > >                                Thanks,
> > >                                Rick

> > >     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
> > >                         those of Oracle Corporation.

> > Bis dann mal

> >   Stefan                 <PGP-Public-Key => subject:SEND KEY>

> > http://home.t-online.de/home/slueghausen

                                    Rick

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.

YA 3com 509 problem

Post by Rick Wessma » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Rick Wessman wrote on 27 Dec 1999 06:46:15 -0800
> in "comp.os.linux.networking" on "YA 3com 509 problem":

> The command  is "3c5x9cfg configure /pnp:disable". Look at "pnpdsabl.bat".

Thanks.

Quote:

> But it seems that I have exactly the same problem. The installation wizard of
> 3com tells me, the installation is all right. During diagnostics only the
> network test fails, NIC test is ok. Even the IP-test to my server and/or to my
> DNS host is ok. But unter win98 I can ping only localhost :-(. Very often the
> ping command tries to start a PPP-connection to my provider. Until now I don't
> know how to fix the ping to the NIC.

> Any ideas?

I wish that I had some. I'm about to punt and switch to another NIC, probably a
3C900 as it is supported by both Linux and RoadRunner.

                                   Rick

Quote:

> >I'm running into a problem getting SuSe 6.3 to recognize my 3COM 509-TPO
> >NIC. I can ping "localhost" but any other address reports "network is
> >unreachable."

> >Unfortunately, the version of the 3COM NIC software that I have does not
> >support running the command "3c5x9cfg /pnp:disable". When I run the GUI tool
> >to set PnP to disabled, Windoze 98 can't see the network either and Linux
> >still does not work.

> >Any help would be appreciated.
> >--
> >                                Thanks,
> >                                Rick

> >     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
> >                         those of Oracle Corporation.

> Bis dann mal

>   Stefan                 <PGP-Public-Key => subject:SEND KEY>

> http://home.t-online.de/home/slueghausen

--

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.

YA 3com 509 problem

Post by Stefan Lueghaus » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Rick Wessman wrote on 04 Jan 2000 06:55:13 -0800
in "comp.os.linux.networking" on "Re: YA 3com 509 problem":

Quote:>> Any ideas?
>I wish that I had some. I'm about to punt and switch to another NIC, probably a
>3C900 as it is supported by both Linux and RoadRunner.

My problem is, with linux I have no problems with the NIC, only with Win98 :-(.
But I think I will change to another NIC too.

Bis dann mal

  Stefan                 <PGP-Public-Key => subject:SEND KEY>

http://home.t-online.de/home/slueghausen

YA 3com 509 problem

Post by Stefan Lueghaus » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Thomas Yip wrote on Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:59:52 GMT
in "comp.os.linux.networking" on "Re: YA 3com 509 problem":

Quote:>I try zillions of ther combination of configuration (including
>IRQ, port number, PNP enabled, disabled. None work)
>Though, I'm sure some luckly guys out there can get their 509 work
>at the first time. But, if you can't get 509 work, I can tell you: you're
>not alone......

>First, I bet all of you are using Linux with kernel 2.2.xx.
>It seem that 3com 509 card have problem with Linux kernel 2.2.xx.
>(or vice versa).

oops, with linux I have no problems: first run, first ping but my Win98 has
some problems with this card ...

My problem is something with PnP-configuration and the IRQ's I think ...

Bis dann mal

  Stefan                 <PGP-Public-Key => subject:SEND KEY>

http://home.t-online.de/home/slueghausen

YA 3com 509 problem

Post by Stefan Lueghaus » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Stefan Lueghausen wrote on Wed, 05 Jan 2000 20:29:34 GMT
in "comp.os.linux.networking" on "Re: YA 3com 509 problem":

Quote:>>I wish that I had some. I'm about to punt and switch to another NIC, probably a
>>3C900 as it is supported by both Linux and RoadRunner.

>My problem is, with linux I have no problems with the NIC, only with Win98 :-(.
>But I think I will change to another NIC too.

Yes, I switched to a PCI-NIC for my Win98PC -> no more problems.

Post by Rick Wessma » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Stefan Lueghausen wrote on Wed, 05 Jan 2000 20:29:34 GMT
> in "comp.os.linux.networking" on "Re: YA 3com 509 problem":

> >>I wish that I had some. I'm about to punt and switch to another NIC, probably a
> >>3C900 as it is supported by both Linux and RoadRunner.

> >My problem is, with linux I have no problems with the NIC, only with Win98 :-(.
> >But I think I will change to another NIC too.

> Yes, I switched to a PCI-NIC for my Win98PC -> no more problems.

I switched as well to a 3c900B and it works fine. Now, my audio doesn't
work. :-( It probably is an error on my part in the installation.

Quote:

> Bis dann mal

>   Stefan                 <PGP-Public-Key => subject:SEND KEY>

> http://home.t-online.de/home/slueghausen

                                Rick

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.

1. 3com 509 isa pnp card problem

i can't use my network card with FreeBSD :-[
after i try to use the interface - system freezes.
the os detects the card, strangely on 2 address ports: 0x210 and on
0x300
the bios assumes i have a PNP disabled OS [this works for other OS's],
so BIOS configures the PnP ISA card itself.

i have ASUS CUV4X board, it has only 1 ISA slot.

i've tried to recompile the kernel and to remove the unneccessary stuff,
i edited the configuration file,but i couldn't make it - something was
missing.
i'm using now RedHat, and my kernel doesn't support slices of FreeBSD -
so i can't
paste the errors :-/ and i don't have network under FreeBSD - the great
networking OS
:-)

anyway the card works fine under other OS's.. so this must be a
configuration problem,
but i don't know which exactly.
it is not a rare card.. what can be wrong ????

argh

2. pthreads v/s C++

3. 3Com 509 Driver Problems - Any fixes - Help

4. how to extract path/file name upto the mzximum of two levels from the file name?

5. 3com 509 problem !!

6. KDE RedHat5 Linux startx problems

7. per-cpu sections inside modules

8. 3COM 509 ethernet problems in Slackware 2.2.0

9. Problems with 3Com 509 Ethernet card

10. 3COM 509 dual boot problem

11. 3Com 509 Not detected

12. Ethernet: 3Com 509 B