PPPD with RADIUS authentication

Post by Jule » Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:56:09

Hey gurus,

I am trying to use freeradius (www.freeradius.org) to authenticate incoming
ppp connections.

I cannot find any info on how I specify to use the radius server for
authentication!

i.e. Where can I find the option to put in the ppp options file to tell the
pppd daemon to perform authentication against the radius server?

Many Thanks!

Post by Clifford Kit » Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:11:16

> I am trying to use freeradius (www.freeradius.org) to authenticate incoming
> ppp connections.
> I cannot find any info on how I specify to use the radius server for
> authentication!
> i.e. Where can I find the option to put in the ppp options file to tell the
> pppd daemon to perform authentication against the radius server?

You might benefit by getting a pppd source package (ftp.samba.org) and
reading the man pages in the directory pppd/plugins/radius/.  I don't
know much about RADIUS so this may or may not be what you want.

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/
/* ... packets usually cross many administrative boundaries on their way
   from a source to a destination and often the only point of agreement
   between those separate administrations is that all problems are someone
   else's fault.   --Van Jacobson, abstract of April 97 MSRI talk */

PPPD with RADIUS authentication

Post by Jule » Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:32:38

Thanks for the reply Clifford,

but that directory doesn't seem to exist in the source distribution.

I can't believe the lack of documentation on this setup - using pppd with a
RADIUS server for authentication. I mean, isn't this what ISPs everywhere
use?!?

If you could point me to some doco on the matter, it would be of great use
to me.

Many Thanks.

> > I am trying to use freeradius (www.freeradius.org) to authenticate
incoming
> > ppp connections.

> > I cannot find any info on how I specify to use the radius server for
> > authentication!

> > i.e. Where can I find the option to put in the ppp options file to tell
the
> > pppd daemon to perform authentication against the radius server?

> You might benefit by getting a pppd source package (ftp.samba.org) and
> reading the man pages in the directory pppd/plugins/radius/.  I don't
> know much about RADIUS so this may or may not be what you want.

> PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/
> /* ... packets usually cross many administrative boundaries on their way
>    from a source to a destination and often the only point of agreement
>    between those separate administrations is that all problems are someone
>    else's fault.   --Van Jacobson, abstract of April 97 MSRI talk */

PPPD with RADIUS authentication

Post by Jule » Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:04:47

Thanks Andreas....

I actually found the radius.so plugin - it was in the latest development ppp
tarball (2.4.2).

The ftp site at samba.org (where ppp is hosted) seems to be down, and I had
to get it from CVS.

Quote:> Hello ,

Post by Clifford Kit » Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:21:09

> ... that directory doesn't seem to exist in the source distribution.

Sorry, I failed to check the 2.4.1 source.  It's in the 2.4.2b3
pppd source at ftp.samba.org, and, as you found out, in the 2.4.2
CVS versions.

Quote:> I can't believe the lack of documentation on this setup - using
> pppd with a RADIUS server for authentication. I mean, isn't this
> what ISPs everywhere use?!?

Pppd was originally meant for use by individuals connecting to ISPs.
This was before PPP became the * point-to-point protocol rather
than SLIP, and the development of the standard pppd source is still
primarily focused on individual use.

There are, I think, other pppd adaptations available for use with
RADIUS authentication.  Google might help find them.  But I wouldn't
be at all surprised if none met your needs.  Support by companies
for such projects is minimal, and people must earn a living - not
all their time can be devoted to giving.

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://www.veryComputer.com/
/*  "PPPoE has many advantages for DSL service providers, and
    practically none for DSL consumers."
                      - David F. Skoll                           */

1. pppd: peer authentication required but no authentication files accessible ????????????

When tring to get connect to my internet server  I get the following
message

pppd: peer authentication required but no authentication files
accessible

Has anyone else seen this message?

I assume that either the options file, or the ppp-secrets file is
incorrect.

Thanks for any help!
lmf

2. Removing telnet: replace with message?

3. pppd: peer authentication required but no authentication files accessible

4. Mail error - "No space left on device" - HELP

5. RADIUS Authentication

6. Maximum Number of Directories

7. DHCP and RADIUS authentication

8. IDPROM Replacement

9. RADIUS authentication on AIX

10. RADIUS Authentication

11. AIX Radius Authentication

12. RADIUS Authentication Server for Unix

13. Apache authentication via Radius