difference between telnetd and in.telnetd?

difference between telnetd and in.telnetd?

Post by Donald MacQuee » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 00:14:15

i installed rh 7.3 and my telnet file in /etc/xinetd.d looks like this:

service telnet
{
         flags           = REUSE
         socket_type     = stream
         wait            = no
         user            = root
         server          = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
         log_on_failure  += USERID
         disable         = no

Quote:}

i have telnetd installed but not in.telnetd. what is the difference?

is in.telnetd just a renamed copy of telnetd?

if not, how do i install it?

a google groups search was no help.

thanks in advance.

difference between telnetd and in.telnetd?

Post by Villy Kru » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 01:06:30

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:14:15 -0400,

Quote:>i installed rh 7.3 and my telnet file in /etc/xinetd.d looks like this:

>service telnet
>{
>         flags           = REUSE
>         socket_type     = stream
>         wait            = no
>         user            = root
>         server          = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
>         log_on_failure  += USERID
>         disable         = no
>}

>i have telnetd installed but not in.telnetd. what is the difference?

>is in.telnetd just a renamed copy of telnetd?

It used to be telnetd, them somone thought it nice to make all internet
daemons get the in. prefix, so now we have in.telnetd as well, just
to emphasize that in.telnetd should not be called from the command line.

Villy

difference between telnetd and in.telnetd?

Post by Donald MacQuee » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 03:07:29

does that mean i can/should copy & rename telnetd to in.telnetd?

thanks for the answer.

Post by Eric P. McC » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 03:30:04

> does that mean i can/should copy & rename telnetd to in.telnetd?

Please put your reply below the quoted text, as I have done.

No, it doesn't mean that.  Change your xinetd.conf to reflect the
correct filename.  If you don't want to change anything, do this:

  # ln -s telnetd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

That will make telnetd be a symbolic link to in.telnetd.

--

"Last I checked, it wasn't the power cord for the Clue Generator that
was sticking up your ass." - John Novak, rasfwrj

difference between telnetd and in.telnetd?

thanks very much.

Post by ls0f » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 12:39:10

Quote:> i installed rh 7.3 and my telnet file in /etc/xinetd.d looks like this:

> service telnet
> {
>          flags           = REUSE
>          socket_type     = stream
>          wait            = no
>          user            = root
>          server          = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
>          log_on_failure  += USERID
>          disable         = no
> }

> i have telnetd installed but not in.telnetd. what is the difference?

> is in.telnetd just a renamed copy of telnetd?

> if not, how do i install it?

> a google groups search was no help.

> thanks in advance.

mainly the gnu telnetd was named telnetd and the netkit telnetd was
in.telnetd