Samba problem

Post by ilye » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi there
I have a LAN at home (5 computers) and Linux as server
i setup my samba so that any user from windowz can log
into the server (Linux) .....the things is when i browse
from any computer (windowz) on "Network" i can see
my linux server but when i want to login i get password incorrect.

anyone knows how i can a setup a user and passwd in :
--> "smbpasswd"
--> "smbusers"

any help would be nice thanks !!

-----

Samba problem

Post by David Kirkpatric » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Its very easy.  Look at the man page for smbpasswd it would be
easier than trying to explain it.  Its not obvious or at least
was
not to me that there was a man page or it was necessary reading
when
the HOWTO.

--

Samba problem

Post by Darren Gre » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Do a man on smbpasswd and it will tell you how to create a user, and
add it to the smbpasswd file.  Also, make sure you have sercurity =
user, and encrypt password = yes, in your smb.conf file,

Darren

-->Hi there
-->I have a LAN at home (5 computers) and Linux as server
-->i setup my samba so that any user from windowz can log
-->into the server (Linux) .....the things is when i browse
-->from any computer (windowz) on "Network" i can see
-->my linux server but when i want to login i get password incorrect.
-->
-->anyone knows how i can a setup a user and passwd in :
-->--> "smbpasswd"
-->--> "smbusers"
-->
-->
-->any help would be nice thanks !!
-->
-->-----

-->

Samba problem

Post by Jesse Mathe » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

You need to uncomment the encrypt password line in smb.conf
the run -> smbpasswd -a username

>Hi there
>I have a LAN at home (5 computers) and Linux as server
>i setup my samba so that any user from windowz can log
>into the server (Linux) .....the things is when i browse
>from any computer (windowz) on "Network" i can see
>my linux server but when i want to login i get password incorrect.

>anyone knows how i can a setup a user and passwd in :
>--> "smbpasswd"
>--> "smbusers"

>any help would be nice thanks !!

>-----

Samba problem

Post by Hal Cole » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

As as alternative to the smbpasswd suggestions, especially on a home
network, you could change your security from "security = user" to "security
= share".  You can then set your shares as public or restrict them to groups
or whatever you want.   At home I just set them all to public and guest OK
and let it go.

>Hi there
>I have a LAN at home (5 computers) and Linux as server
>i setup my samba so that any user from windowz can log
>into the server (Linux) .....the things is when i browse
>from any computer (windowz) on "Network" i can see
>my linux server but when i want to login i get password incorrect.

Samba problem

Post by Crai » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Windows 98 will allow for password encryption but 95 will not. Try this :
on your Windows machine (works on 98 too) ,regedit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Vxd\VNETSUP]
new dword
"EnablePlainTextPassword" = dword:00000001
Don't use the quotes,of course.
Reboot.
This worked for me.
Craig

>Hi there
>I have a LAN at home (5 computers) and Linux as server
>i setup my samba so that any user from windowz can log
>into the server (Linux) .....the things is when i browse
>from any computer (windowz) on "Network" i can see
>my linux server but when i want to login i get password incorrect.

>anyone knows how i can a setup a user and passwd in :
>--> "smbpasswd"
>--> "smbusers"

>any help would be nice thanks !!

>-----

Samba problem

Post by Marti » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
    Look at www.samba.com  The site is the home of the samba software, and
has information on the type of configuration you requirw.

    Martin

>Hi there
>I have a LAN at home (5 computers) and Linux as server
>i setup my samba so that any user from windowz can log
>into the server (Linux) .....the things is when i browse
>from any computer (windowz) on "Network" i can see
>my linux server but when i want to login i get password incorrect.

>anyone knows how i can a setup a user and passwd in :
>--> "smbpasswd"
>--> "smbusers"

>any help would be nice thanks !!

>-----

Samba problem

Post by Darren Gre » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Do NOT do what this gentlemen as suggested you do.

All you have to do is add the line:
encrypt password = yes
to your smb.conf file and it will work fine.  And yes it works for
95,98 and NT connections.

Darren

-->Windows 98 will allow for password encryption but 95 will not. Try this :
-->on your Windows machine (works on 98 too) ,regedit
-->[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Vxd\VNETSUP]
-->new dword
-->"EnablePlainTextPassword" = dword:00000001
-->Don't use the quotes,of course.
-->Reboot.
-->This worked for me.
-->Craig

-->

-->>Hi there
-->>I have a LAN at home (5 computers) and Linux as server
-->>i setup my samba so that any user from windowz can log
-->>into the server (Linux) .....the things is when i browse
-->>from any computer (windowz) on "Network" i can see
-->>my linux server but when i want to login i get password incorrect.
-->>
-->>anyone knows how i can a setup a user and passwd in :
-->>--> "smbpasswd"
-->>--> "smbusers"
-->>
-->>
-->>any help would be nice thanks !!
-->>
-->>-----

-->>
-->
-->

1. Samba problems: Samba not in Network Neighborhood

I have (the latest) Samba installed and have two problems that I can't
seem to solve.

First, my setup: Machine 1 is linux/samba machine.  Machine 2 is Win
95 and Machine 3 is WfWG 3.11 with TCP/IP.  They connect with
ethernet.  All machines can ping each other and the other TCP stuff
works fine.

Machines 2 and 3 can mount each other's drives and printers fine.
Machine 2 can mount the Samba shares but only after I run the "Find
Computer" tool.  It doesn't appear in the Network Neighborhood with
the other machines.

I used smbclient to verify that Machine 1 can mount look at the shares
on all three machines and the Workgroup name is the same.

I was able to drag a shortcut into network neightborhood but that's
not the same as actually being there.

A possibly related problem is machine 3, the Win 3.11 one, cannot see
the samba shares at all.  The server doesn't appear.

Is there some Samba option that I don't have enabled?  With the Win 95
machine it's only annoying not having it in the Neighborhood but it is
entirely unusable from machine 3.  This I really need to fix.

BTW: One further problem I haven't looked at too closely: All the
mounted shares are done as "pcguest" and not as the username logged in
to win 95.  I have the same username/password on both machines.  Is
there a Win 95 option somewhere I need to change?

thanks, jv

    Graphics                "Purveyors to the Froup"

2. keyboard repeat is sloooow...

3. Samba- Problem: path too long/ cvs- Problem: cvs import stucks

4. Productiva G100 APG supported?

5. Very strange Samba problem - please advise

6. Adaptec 2100S DPT I2O SmartRAID and 2.2/2.4

7. samba problem - only root can write - TIA

8. Mandrake 8.0 install CD error

9. samba problem

10. Samba Problem

11. Samba problem...