printing postscript with 'LPR'

Post by Eric Trimme » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Would ANYBODY know what is happening here.
I am unable to print a postscript file when I use the 'lpr'
command; either from the command line or from within a program
such as Mosaic, Netscape, or Ghostview. I have been able to
convert a postscript file and print it using these two commands:

'gs -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=tiger.ps tiger.epson'
'cat tiger.epson > /dev/lp0'

But if I try to print a postscript file, or a converted file,
with 'lpr' my printer output is just the codes. I have an input
filter which is reffered to in my 'printcap' file. The filter is

'/usr/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=epson- -sOutputFile=-'

But 'lpr' still just prints codes.

Any suggestions ?

Totally bewildered,

--
   Eric Trimmer

Post by Paul-Emile Gaude » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Would ANYBODY know what is happening here.
> I am unable to print a postscript file when I use the 'lpr'
> command; either from the command line or from within a program
> such as Mosaic, Netscape, or Ghostview. I have been able to
> convert a postscript file and print it using these two commands:

> 'gs -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=tiger.ps tiger.epson'
> 'cat tiger.epson > /dev/lp0'

> But if I try to print a postscript file, or a converted file,
> with 'lpr' my printer output is just the codes. I have an input
> filter which is reffered to in my 'printcap' file. The filter is

> '/usr/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=epson- -sOutputFile=-'

> But 'lpr' still just prints codes.

> Any suggestions ?

> Totally bewildered,

> --
>    Eric Trimmer

I have this setup.....

(/etc/printcap)
lp:lp=/dev/lp1:mx#0:sd=/usr/spool/lp1:sh
ps:lp=/dev/lp1:mx#0:sd=/usr/spool/ps1:of=/etc/pstolj:sh

(and then you have to setup another spool directory)

(/etc/pstolj)
#!/bin/sh

# Try gs -h for a list of drivers

gs -q -sDEVICE=laserjet -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER
-sOutputFile=- -

to print use "lpr -Pps <file>"

it uses the ps printer which runs the output through the
/etc/pstolj output filter program and then fires it out the
printer port... Yours might be pstoepson or something...

Hope this helps.

1. printing postscript using 'LPR'

Would ANYBODY know what is happening here ?

I am unable to print postscript files to my printer when using
the 'LPR' command either at the shell prompt or from within a
program such as Netscape, Mosaic, or Ghostview. I have been able
to get 'GS' to convert a postscript file to a format my printer
understands. By using a command such as:

 'gs -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=tiger.ps tiger.epson'

 And I can print it. BUT ONLY if I log in as ROOT and use the
command:

'cat FILENAME > /dev/lp0'

If I try to print a postscript file or a converted file using
'LPR' or the above mentioned programs the output is just codes
and not a graphic. In my 'printcap' I do have a reference to an
input filter. The filter is:

'/usr/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=-'

But 'LPR' just prints the codes ! Even on a converted file !

Totally bewildered,

--
   Eric Trimmer

2. Mounting problem

3. It's Possible Printing Postscript Documents with lpr (linux) or print command ( windows)?

4. delete file named -

5. ASCII printing using 'lpr'

6. 2.5.70 - IRQs+PCMCIA: Nobody cares! *sniff*

7. lpr won't print

8. WinCommander lookalike

9. lpr won't print - "Unable to get official name for local machine"

10. Help- lpr didn't print properly on BJ-10e

11. lpr doesn't print

12. lpr don't remove the finished print job

13. CUPS printing test works but lpr doesn't !