Please advise me on network hardware and software

Please advise me on network hardware and software

Post by Jim » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm looking to link up 8 PCs with Windows95 for multiplayer games and
possibly printer and Internet connection sharing.

I'm on a tight budget and I have been told that a peer to peer can handle
these tasks as long as I use the right software.

I'm in urgent need of some advise about cost effective networking for these
machines.

I also read that Quake or doom has problems with T connectors (not sure
why).

Please advise me on network hardware and software

Post by James Kno » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have no idea why you're posting W95 questions in a Linux newsgroup.

Quote:>I'm looking to link up 8 PCs with Windows95 for multiplayer games and
>possibly printer and Internet connection sharing.

>I'm on a tight budget and I have been told that a peer to peer can handle
>these tasks as long as I use the right software.

W95 has full peer-peer included.

Quote:>I'm in urgent need of some advise about cost effective networking for these
>machines.

You'll need network cards.  Your connection choices are 10base2 (coax) or
10baseT (twisted pair).  With 10baseT, you'll need a hub and with 10base2
you'll need cards that support it and tee connectors.  You'll find that the
added costs of cards that support 10base2 and more expensive cable &
connectors will quickly approach the cost of a cheap hub.

Quote:>I also read that Quake or doom has problems with T connectors (not sure
>why).

I would say that whoever said that, has no idea why as well.  As long as the
packets make it across the network, it makes no difference how they got
there.

The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of
IBM Canada Ltd.

Please advise me on network hardware and software

Post by Crai » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

3com cards are nice. I would create a class C. Just make on up as long
as you are nt hooked to the internet.

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 02:24:53 +0100, "Jim"