Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by David Gate » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 15:47:03

I am fairly new to the linux scene and I just successfully installed
TurboLinux Server 6.0 on a machine at home.  I am very curious about
networking and figured linux would be the cheapest way to do this.  The
box is connected to the internet via my cable modem and I would like it
to act as a router (or proxy).

My second NIC to connect to my switch isn't being recognized .  It is
the linksys card.  I have installed Red Hat and Mandrake before and they
wouldn't recognize the card either.  I have been to Liknsys' site and
followed the directions many times in regards to the tulip.c driver, but
with no success.

I have looked on the internet for any other help with no success.  Can
anyone help me?

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 23:01:32

Hi!,

Quote:> I am fairly new to the linux scene and I just successfully installed
> TurboLinux Server 6.0 on a machine at home.  I am very curious about
> networking and figured linux would be the cheapest way to do this.  The
> box is connected to the internet via my cable modem and I would like it
> to act as a router (or proxy).

> My second NIC to connect to my switch isn't being recognized .  It is
> the linksys card.  I have installed Red Hat and Mandrake before and they
> wouldn't recognize the card either.  I have been to Liknsys' site and
> followed the directions many times in regards to the tulip.c driver, but
> with no success.

> I have looked on the internet for any other help with no success.  Can
> anyone help me?

Have you been to http://www.scyld.com/network ?
Have you actually added the tulip module to the /etc/modules.conf file for the
second network card.  The LNE10/100TX NIC should be detected correctly these
days with the later releases.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by Art Ric » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 02:21:54

> Hi!,

>> I am fairly new to the linux scene and I just successfully installed
>> TurboLinux Server 6.0 on a machine at home.  I am very curious about
>> networking and figured linux would be the cheapest way to do this.  The
>> box is connected to the internet via my cable modem and I would like it
>> to act as a router (or proxy).

>> My second NIC to connect to my switch isn't being recognized .  It is
>> the linksys card.  I have installed Red Hat and Mandrake before and they
>> wouldn't recognize the card either.  I have been to Liknsys' site and
>> followed the directions many times in regards to the tulip.c driver, but
>> with no success.

>> I have looked on the internet for any other help with no success.  Can
>> anyone help me?

> Have you been to http://www.scyld.com/network ?
> Have you actually added the tulip module to the /etc/modules.conf file for
> the
> second network card.  The LNE10/100TX NIC should be detected correctly
> these days with the later releases.

> See ya

> Dean Thompson

Is that a supported card.  I have two LNE100TX cards that I haven't
installed due to RedHat's hardware compatability page stating that the
LNE100TX was not supported by the tulip driver unless it is revision 2.0 or
below.  Some people have gotten revision 4.0 to work with the new driver
but only on kernel 2.2.

Any updates on this?

--
Art Rice, Tandem Admin
Special Data Processing Corp

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by Marcus Laue » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 07:10:16

> Is that a supported card.  I have two LNE100TX cards that I haven't
> installed due to RedHat's hardware compatability page stating that the
> LNE100TX was not supported by the tulip driver unless it is revision 2.0 or
> below.  Some people have gotten revision 4.0 to work with the new driver
> but only on kernel 2.2.

> Any updates on this?

        I'm pretty sure that the LNE100TX version 4.0 or less uses the "old"
tulip driver, and works just fine with the stock 2.2 kernel.  Newer versions
of the card (4.1 - 5.1) require the newer driver.  It's standard in the 2.4
kernel, and a version for the 2.2 kernel can be acquired from
www.scyld.com/network .

        I personally have a version 4.1 card running on Mandrake 8.1 with the
2.4 kernel, and a version 5.0 card running on Slackware 8.0, also with the
2.4 kernel.  I expect that your problem is related to this.  What kernel are
you using?  What version of the LNE100TX are your two cards?

                                                            Marcus

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by Art Ric » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 07:55:59

>> Is that a supported card.  I have two LNE100TX cards that I haven't
>> installed due to RedHat's hardware compatability page stating that the
>> LNE100TX was not supported by the tulip driver unless it is revision 2.0
>> or
>> below.  Some people have gotten revision 4.0 to work with the new driver
>> but only on kernel 2.2.

>> Any updates on this?

>         I'm pretty sure that the LNE100TX version 4.0 or less uses the
>         "old"
> tulip driver, and works just fine with the stock 2.2 kernel.  Newer
> versions
> of the card (4.1 - 5.1) require the newer driver.  It's standard in the
> 2.4 kernel, and a version for the 2.2 kernel can be acquired from
> www.scyld.com/network .

>         I personally have a version 4.1 card running on Mandrake 8.1 with
>         the
> 2.4 kernel, and a version 5.0 card running on Slackware 8.0, also with the
> 2.4 kernel.  I expect that your problem is related to this.  What kernel
> are
> you using?  What version of the LNE100TX are your two cards?

>                                                             Marcus

I'm using a 3C509B right now because I didn't want to waste time with the
other card.  I'm running 2.4.9-12 kernel.  The LNE100TX is a 4.0 revision.
Hasn't been a problem since cablemodem doesn't go above 10 meg anyhow..
It would be nice to get the higher speed between the local PCs though.

--

Post by Marcus Laue » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:00:11

> I'm using a 3C509B right now because I didn't want to waste time with the
> other card.  I'm running 2.4.9-12 kernel.  The LNE100TX is a 4.0 revision.
> Hasn't been a problem since cablemodem doesn't go above 10 meg anyhow..
> It would be nice to get the higher speed between the local PCs though.

        Well, if you ever want to try it out, I'm pretty sure that revision
4.0 of the LNE100TX uses the "Generic DECchip & DIGITAL EtherWORKS PCI/EISA"
driver, which is called "de4x5.o" as a module.  But I admit, I've never used
a revision 4.0 card.  Maybe you can try building both tulip.o and de4x5.o,
and see which one works?

                                                            Marcus

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by Art Ric » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:13:22

>> I'm using a 3C509B right now because I didn't want to waste time with the
>> other card.  I'm running 2.4.9-12 kernel.  The LNE100TX is a 4.0
>> revision. Hasn't been a problem since cablemodem doesn't go above 10 meg
>> anyhow.. It would be nice to get the higher speed between the local PCs
>> though.

>         Well, if you ever want to try it out, I'm pretty sure that
>         revision
> 4.0 of the LNE100TX uses the "Generic DECchip & DIGITAL EtherWORKS
> PCI/EISA"
> driver, which is called "de4x5.o" as a module.  But I admit, I've never
> used
> a revision 4.0 card.  Maybe you can try building both tulip.o and de4x5.o,
> and see which one works?

>                                                             Marcus

One of these days I might just do that.
Still have a spare 3c509b sitting here in case this old ISA card dies so it
might be a while yet. ;.)

--
Art Rice, Tandem Admin
Special Data Processing Corp
----------------------------
All opinions are my own and do not reflect the views of the above mentioned
employer.

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by quro » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:35:47

TurboLinux 6.0 came with my Linksys card, and that's the only distro I've
gotten to work with it. Now, I think myself and a friend got RedHat working
with it however.....

M*of the story: Use 3com cards ;)

Quote:> I am fairly new to the linux scene and I just successfully installed
> TurboLinux Server 6.0 on a machine at home.  I am very curious about
> networking and figured linux would be the cheapest way to do this.  The
> box is connected to the internet via my cable modem and I would like it
> to act as a router (or proxy).

> My second NIC to connect to my switch isn't being recognized .  It is
> the linksys card.  I have installed Red Hat and Mandrake before and they
> wouldn't recognize the card either.  I have been to Liknsys' site and
> followed the directions many times in regards to the tulip.c driver, but
> with no success.

> I have looked on the internet for any other help with no success.  Can
> anyone help me?

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by Donald Beck » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 04:06:32

>> I'm using a 3C509B right now because I didn't want to waste time with the
>> other card.  I'm running 2.4.9-12 kernel.  The LNE100TX is a 4.0 revision.
>> Hasn't been a problem since cablemodem doesn't go above 10 meg anyhow..
>> It would be nice to get the higher speed between the local PCs though.

>        Well, if you ever want to try it out, I'm pretty sure that revision
>4.0 of the LNE100TX uses the "Generic DECchip & DIGITAL EtherWORKS PCI/EISA"
>driver, which is called "de4x5.o" as a module.  But I admit, I've never used
>a revision 4.0 card.  Maybe you can try building both tulip.o and de4x5.o,
>and see which one works?

No, the de4x5 driver only support Digital 21040 series chips
(21041/21140/21143).

The Linksys v4.0 and later cards use the ADMtek Comet or Centaur chips,
and require an updated tulip driver.  Note that the "tulip" driver
shipped with the 2.4 kernel may not work with some Tulip designs

The driver is at
   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
      ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c

--

Scyld Computing Corporation             http://www.scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210               Second Generation Beowulf Clusters

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by David Gate » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 04:47:35

That is the distrbution  (Turbo 6.0) I am trying to get it to work on and I
can't.

> TurboLinux 6.0 came with my Linksys card, and that's the only distro I've
> gotten to work with it. Now, I think myself and a friend got RedHat working
> with it however.....

> M*of the story: Use 3com cards ;)

> > I am fairly new to the linux scene and I just successfully installed
> > TurboLinux Server 6.0 on a machine at home.  I am very curious about
> > networking and figured linux would be the cheapest way to do this.  The
> > box is connected to the internet via my cable modem and I would like it
> > to act as a router (or proxy).

> > My second NIC to connect to my switch isn't being recognized .  It is
> > the linksys card.  I have installed Red Hat and Mandrake before and they
> > wouldn't recognize the card either.  I have been to Liknsys' site and
> > followed the directions many times in regards to the tulip.c driver, but
> > with no success.

> > I have looked on the internet for any other help with no success.  Can
> > anyone help me?

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by Cory Philli » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 06:23:26

Use the tulip drive supplied on the diskette that came with the card.
The tulip drive that came with my Red Hat 6.2 system would not work.  I
had to compile the one on the diskette.

--
Cory Phillips

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by Art Ric » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 06:57:36

>>> I'm using a 3C509B right now because I didn't want to waste time with
>>> the
>>> other card.  I'm running 2.4.9-12 kernel.  The LNE100TX is a 4.0
>>> revision. Hasn't been a problem since cablemodem doesn't go above 10 meg
>>> anyhow.. It would be nice to get the higher speed between the local PCs
>>> though.

>>        Well, if you ever want to try it out, I'm pretty sure that
>>        revision
>>4.0 of the LNE100TX uses the "Generic DECchip & DIGITAL EtherWORKS
>>PCI/EISA"
>>driver, which is called "de4x5.o" as a module.  But I admit, I've never
>>used
>>a revision 4.0 card.  Maybe you can try building both tulip.o and de4x5.o,
>>and see which one works?

> No, the de4x5 driver only support Digital 21040 series chips
> (21041/21140/21143).

> The Linksys v4.0 and later cards use the ADMtek Comet or Centaur chips,
> and require an updated tulip driver.  Note that the "tulip" driver
> shipped with the 2.4 kernel may not work with some Tulip designs

> The driver is at
>    http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
>       ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c

Thanks. Maybe I'll try it this weekend.

--

Post by David Gate » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 07:48:00

> >>        Well, if you ever want to try it out, I'm pretty sure that
> >>        revision
> >>4.0 of the LNE100TX uses the "Generic DECchip & DIGITAL EtherWORKS
> >>PCI/EISA"
> >>driver, which is called "de4x5.o" as a module.  But I admit, I've never
> >>used
> >>a revision 4.0 card.  Maybe you can try building both tulip.o and de4x5.o,
> >>and see which one works?

> > No, the de4x5 driver only support Digital 21040 series chips
> > (21041/21140/21143).

> > The Linksys v4.0 and later cards use the ADMtek Comet or Centaur chips,
> > and require an updated tulip driver.  Note that the "tulip" driver
> > shipped with the 2.4 kernel may not work with some Tulip designs

> > The driver is at
> >    http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
> >       ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c

> Thanks. Maybe I'll try it this weekend.

> --
> Art Rice, Tandem Admin
> Special Data Processing Corp
> ----------------------------
> All opinions are my own and do not reflect the views of the above mentioned
> employer.

I think my orginal question got completely off track.

I am using TurboLinux Server 6.0, not Red Hat anything.

I have been to the web site listed above and followed the directions for the
RPM installation and the individual driver installation and I am doing
something wrong because neither work.  I think that people who write these help
files assume a certain minimum level of knowledge of linux because I get error
messages galore when I try the instructions above.

All I want to do is get my linux version (kernel 2.2.14-3) to see my LNE100TX
version 4.0 so I can get my other computer connected to the internet as well.

Any help on this topic will be greatly appreciated.

David Gates

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by Gene Hesket » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:26:52

> TurboLinux 6.0 came with my Linksys card, and that's the only distro
> I've gotten to work with it. Now, I think myself and a friend got
> RedHat working with it however.....

> M*of the story: Use 3com cards ;)

>> I am fairly new to the linux scene and I just successfully
>> installed
>> TurboLinux Server 6.0 on a machine at home.  I am very curious
>> about
>> networking and figured linux would be the cheapest way to do this.
>> The box is connected to the internet via my cable modem and I would
>> like it to act as a router (or proxy).

>> My second NIC to connect to my switch isn't being recognized .  It
>> is
>> the linksys card.  I have installed Red Hat and Mandrake before and
>> they
>> wouldn't recognize the card either.  I have been to Liknsys' site
>> and followed the directions many times in regards to the tulip.c
>> driver, but with no success.

>> I have looked on the internet for any other help with no success.
>> Can anyone help me?

I just put one of those in, and the modules names is 8139too.
Scratch thru the networking cards list in a 'make xconfig' till you
hit that name in the comments and build it with that module (or in
the kernel).

--
Cheers, Gene

Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC

Post by Marcus Laue » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:04:23

> I think my orginal question got completely off track.

> I am using TurboLinux Server 6.0, not Red Hat anything.

        We know.  Someone else names "Art Rice" asked a similar question, and
he got some advice regarding his particular setup.  He's running RedHat (I
don't think he even mentioned the version).

                                                            Marcus

1. Q: Linksys LNE10/100TX NIC with 82c169 problems: Wrong media type?

Hi there,

my Linksys 10/100 card is recognized by release 4.0, but a ping to my
gateway fails. A ping to localhost and my own IP address works fine. It's
probably a misconfigured route but I suspect that my media type is wrong as
ifconfig shows "no carrier".

Here's what dmesg says concerning the NIC, ifconfig dc0 and my uname -a
output:
---
dmesg
pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
isab0: <Intel 82371FB PCI to ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
atapci0: <Intel PIIX ATA controller> port 0xe800-0xe80f at device 7.1 on
pci0
pci0: <S3 968 graphics accelerator> at 10.0 irq 15
dc0: <82c169 PNIC 10/100BaseTX> port 0xe400-0xe4ff mem 0xf7ff0000-0xf7ff00ff
irq 9 at device 11.0 on pci0
dc0: Ethernet address: 00:a0:cc:27:2e:a2
miibus0: <MII bus> on dc0
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on miibus0
ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
dc0: supplying EUI64: 00:a0:cc:ff:fe:27:2e:a2

[..]

dc0: starting DAD for fe80:0001::02a0:ccff:fe27:2ea2
dc0: DAD complete for fe80:0001::02a0:ccff:fe27:2ea2 - no duplicates found

---
ifconfig dc0 output:

dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 inet 134.176.85.175 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 134.176.85.255
 inet6 fe80::2a0:ccff:fe27:2ea2%dc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
 ether 00:a0:cc:27:2e:a2
 media: 100baseTX status: no carrier
 supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX 10baseT/UTP
<full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP none

---
uname -a:
FreeBSD somehost.somedomain.sometld 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #0: Mon
Mar 20 22:50:22 GMT 2000

What's wrong here?

Thanks in advance
Stefan

2. Getting source code

3. linksys lne10/100tx HELP!

4. Error in compiling perl

5. Linksys Etherfast 100TX v4 Nic Setup

6. KDE OK, but GNOME failed to work ...

7. Q (NIC): Linksys 100TX??

8. IBM mktg info and spec sheets available via FAX

9. LinkSys Etherfast 10/100TX

10. linksys model #: LNE 100tx version 4.0

11. LinkSys EtherFast 10/100tx & Linux 2.2

12. Linksys LNE 100TX install problems

13. Linksys 100TX tulip driver answers