Need help with configuring system as dial access server and printer server.

Need help with configuring system as dial access server and printer server.

Post by David Hodg » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have small network set up in my home. My intentions are to setup a
print server / WEB access for
my family for use from one centralized point in the house. Each family
member has a personal
computer with an Ethernet card attached. Each Ethernet card is
configured as an NE2000 card. The Ethernet HUB I am using is a NetGear
10Mb Shared.

What I would like to know is how should I configure my copy of Slackware
version 4.0, running on
my new Pentium system, in order to allow all members of my family to be
able to access the Internet
via a single dial access modem, while also receiving shared device
access for printing via the same
single Pentium server system. In short I have but one spare phone line
to be share by the whole
family, as well as, one printer.

Note my wife and daughter will be using Win95 systems for there personal
computer, while my son
and myself will be using the LINUX systems. The server of course will be
Slackware v4.0 .

Thank much in advance.

Dave Hodge ..8^)

Need help with configuring system as dial access server and printer server.

Post by Mike Bowie - CITYPR » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

David,

Your best bet is a package like diald and a proxy server like squid or
socks.  I'm not a slackware user, so can't really give you the o/s specifics
you need however.  As for the print sharing, samba is you only real option.

You can find diald on any sunsite mirror, while socks can be found at
http://www.nec.socks.com and squid at http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/

Samba may well come in a distrib for slackware, I'm not sure, but have a
look on sunsite for that also, it's definitly there.

Once you have the packages, I suggest you setup your print sharing first, if
you find the smb.conf file a bit much, get a copy of Webmin from
http://www.webmin.com.  It's an html interface for configuring all sorts of
things including Samba and Squid.  (If you choose squid.)

Then, get the diald package demand dialing from you server, then add the
proxy package and set it up as the proxy in the web browsers etc on the
clients.

If you need more help, you'll be sure to find it here!

Hope it helps,

Mike.

> I have small network set up in my home. My intentions are to setup a
> print server / WEB access for
> my family for use from one centralized point in the house. Each family
> member has a personal
> computer with an Ethernet card attached. Each Ethernet card is
> configured as an NE2000 card. The Ethernet HUB I am using is a NetGear
> 10Mb Shared.

> What I would like to know is how should I configure my copy of Slackware
> version 4.0, running on
> my new Pentium system, in order to allow all members of my family to be
> able to access the Internet
> via a single dial access modem, while also receiving shared device
> access for printing via the same
> single Pentium server system. In short I have but one spare phone line
> to be share by the whole
> family, as well as, one printer.

> Note my wife and daughter will be using Win95 systems for there personal
> computer, while my son
> and myself will be using the LINUX systems. The server of course will be
> Slackware v4.0 .

> Thank much in advance.

> Dave Hodge ..8^)

Need help with configuring system as dial access server and printer server.

Post by Monte Philli » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

For file and print sharing you install samba
http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/samba/index.html
and this one as well
http://home.talkcity.com/MigrationPath/maguai/samba.html
These sites singly or in combination are nearly guaranteed to get you
networked.

For the dialup share you need to read the IPMasquarade HOW-TO etc.
that should do the trick

>I have small network set up in my home. My intentions are to setup a
>print server / WEB access for
>my family

>Note my wife and daughter will be using Win95 systems for there personal
>computer, while my son
>and myself will be using the LINUX systems. The server of course will be
>Slackware v4.0 .

>Thank much in advance.

>Dave Hodge ..8^)

1. Need help configuring pop3 server on RH 7.1 server with xinetd

I'm replacing a web server running redhat 6.1 with one running 7.1.  My old
server used inetd to launch the pop3 server and it was pretty much already
configured.  Could someone give me the file(s) i need in the xinetd.d
directory to get the pop3 server up and runnning again?  Thanks a bunch.

2. man can't format new man pages - can't find DESC file

3. Is it possible to access a server's access log from another server?

4. Apache Image Map Problem

5. HELP: Accessing terminal server from Open Server 5.0.2

6. oddities after rpm upgrades

7. Newbie needs help dialing into an NT RAS Server.

8. error 500

9. dial in server -- pppd help needed

10. Dial-up server help needed.

11. PPPD dial-up server help needed

12. need help on how to configure INN news server

13. help needed for configuring pppd server