PPTP , IPSEC/L2TP performance

Post by Roy Sande » Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:41:46

hi,

I'm working on a project with VPN's.
I've succesfully set up a PPTP server and a IPSEC/L2TP server with
PKI.
As this all seemed to work, i did a little performance test.
When i downloaded via the LAN it would go around 1,7 Mb/s with 1
client.
When i tried with multiple clients from outside the LAN the
performance is somewhat crap. i can get about 300-400 kb/s out of the
box and that is about it.
both with IPSEC/L2TP and PPTP seem to have this problem.
The server that i used isn't that fast its only a PII 350Mhz.
The WAN connection to the internet is a 100 Mbit surfnet connection.
The clients i used to test from outside the LAN should be able to
download faster.
I tuned the MTU a bit but not really a difference. its about 1410 now.
My ifconfig says that the MTU of the pppX interface is 1406.

Q:Why is the performance from outside the LAN so much worse ?

Q:tcpdump tells me the kernel drops about 1/5 of the packets when
there is a lot of traffic comming tru.

Q: Could it be the machine that isn't capable of creating GRE packets
fast enough to multiple client ?

Q: is this a kernel restiction with /dev/pts ?

Any comments/advices are appreciated.

-- Roy Sanders

1. PPTP or L2TP: help request

Hi,

is it possible to do IP lan to lan tunneling protocol with a
linux box?

What I have to do is to connect two domains protected
by firewall and with network address translation through
the internet.

Please help me.
Marco

2. setting time via ntp

3. VPN and Linux -> L2F , L2TP , PPTP

4. (debian) Bootdisks for Alphaserver 1200 with Mylex DAC960.

5. PPTP and L2TP questions

6. upgrading freebsd root hard drive

7. L2TP/IPsec for FreeBSD?

8. Scanner Recommendations

9. Connecting my PPTP/L2TP client from my inside my firewall.

10. l2tp or pptp?

11. IPSec vs L2TP

12. L2TP and PPTP SW

13. Linux VPN - IPSec, L2TP