IBM.NET and PPP 2.2.0

Post by Dmitry Gorodnitsk » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Does anybody knows how to setup RedHat Linux with PPP 2.2.* to work with

IBM internet provider?
I logged bunch of calls to IBM tech support but even they do not know
how to do that.
Any help will be greatly apreciated

Dima

IBM.NET and PPP 2.2.0

Post by Pat Segui » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Does anybody knows how to setup RedHat Linux with PPP 2.2.* to work with

> IBM internet provider?
> I logged bunch of calls to IBM tech support but even they do not know
> how to do that.
> Any help will be greatly apreciated

> Dima

Have you looked at their on-line instructions for connecting under Linux? I
use RedHat 5.0 and their instructions work fine.

-Pat

IBM.NET and PPP 2.2.0

Post by Dmitry Gorodnitsk » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Yes I did, but its look like they have a PPP 1.* example and I do not undrstnd
what authentication do they use PAP or CHAP
Dmitry

> > Does anybody knows how to setup RedHat Linux with PPP 2.2.* to work with

> > IBM internet provider?
> > I logged bunch of calls to IBM tech support but even they do not know
> > how to do that.
> > Any help will be greatly apreciated

> > Dima

> Have you looked at their on-line instructions for connecting under Linux? I
> use RedHat 5.0 and their instructions work fine.

> -Pat

IBM.NET and PPP 2.2.0

Post by Dmitry Gorodnitsk » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi pat,
I was trying to follow th instructions on the IBM's web page, but I can't find
files that help desk refers to. I do not have ppp-on, ppp-off, login, etc.
Instead the system uses following script: ifup <interface name>. If I am trying
to use direct command such as
"pppd /dev/modem ...." then it gives me an error: +ua is not recognized option.

Can you tell me what version of ppp you are using. I just upgraded my ppp to
2.3.3-2
but it didn't help
Thanks again for help.
Dmitry

> Have you looked at their on-line instructions for connecting under Linux? I
> use RedHat 5.0 and their instructions work fine.

> -Pat

IBM.NET and PPP 2.2.0

Post by Dennis Brak » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi pat,
> I was trying to follow th instructions on the IBM's web page, but I can't find
> files that help desk refers to. I do not have ppp-on, ppp-off, login, etc.
> Instead the system uses following script: ifup <interface name>. If I am trying
> to use direct command such as
> "pppd /dev/modem ...." then it gives me an error: +ua is not recognized option.

> Can you tell me what version of ppp you are using. I just upgraded my ppp to
> 2.3.3-2
> but it didn't help
> Thanks again for help.
> Dmitry

> > Have you looked at their on-line instructions for connecting under Linux? I
> > use RedHat 5.0 and their instructions work fine.

> > -Pat

I currently have a working account with IBM and I'm including  my scripts for
ppp-2.3.3.

Dennis

**** /usr/sbin/ppp-up

#!/bin/sh

# start pppd
/usr/sbin/pppd -d  /dev/modem

#
# set up firewall stuff
#

# flush the forwarding list
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -f

# default to denying service
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny

# forward and masquerade packets from my network to the internet
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.0.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

*** /etc/ppp/options

lock
defaultroute
modem
/dev/modem
115200
crtscts
asyncmap 0
#debug
name "internet.usinet.dbrake"
ipcp-accept-remote
0.0.0.0:165.87.194.244
demand
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/pppscript"
idle 300

**** /etc/ppp/pppscript

TIMEOUT 10
ABORT ERROR
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
REPORT "CARRIER"
REPORT "CONNECT"
"" ATZ OK
"atdt*70,1-202-530-3901"
TIMEOUT 60
CONNECT

**** /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

# Secrets for authentication using PAP...
# client server      secret        IP addresses
"internet.usinet.dbrake"   *   "MY_PASSWORD"

IBM.NET and PPP 2.2.0

Post by Robin Atwoo » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Look at www.ibm.net under Help (I think), they instructions for most
platforms including Linux!
-Robin.

Quote:> Does anybody knows how to setup RedHat Linux with PPP 2.2.* to work with

> IBM internet provider?
> I logged bunch of calls to IBM tech support but even they do not know
> how to do that.
> Any help will be greatly apreciated

> Dima

IBM.NET and PPP 2.2.0

Post by Keld Simons » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

I have a major probem, running linux on a portable ast p55, the rh5.0
i386 version. When I close down the ppp connection , using usernet,
the machine freezes. I can only restart it with a cold boot.

I have built in some debugging messages in the scripts in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts but hasnt come any closer. It seems
like the connection is closed, and then 2 secs after closure everything
freezes.

Any help appreciated
Keld Simonsen

1. ppp on ibm.net

I'm having problems connecting to my ibm.net ISP with ppp
Just installed RedHat 5.1 and can access ebicom.net ISP, but that's long
distance for me.

ibm has a procedure

http://www.ibm.net/hlpctr/index.html   select LINUX

I think its wrong because it does not work.

Ibm says to put
+ua /etc/ppp/login
in my /etc/ppp/options file.  That's an invalid line???

Jimmy Andrews

2. How to fix the Fonts for Star/Open Office?

3. ibm.net ppp setup problem

4. Cheap modem at Wal-Mart

5. ibm.net PPP Connection?

6. Two RAID1 mirrors are faster than three

7. PPP 2.3.5 and conecting to ibm.net pap-secrets question

8. RealTek RTL8139 + kernel 2.6.17-10 = no joy

9. PPP and ibm.net - HOWTO

10. Linux (RH 5.1) and ibm.net using ppp and/or slip

11. connecting to ibm.net using PPP + some new user questions

12. IBM.NET Linux PPP

13. IBM.NET PPP CONNECTION