problem with print to Netware print queue

problem with print to Netware print queue

Post by Jun Che » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

    I am trying to print from Linux (latest slackware) to a Netware
printer, or should I say a print queue on a Netware server.
    I followed exactly the same as the setup in "Printing Howto", below
is what I
setup for the printer:

1) In /etc/printcap, a printer section:
lp|remote:lp=/dev/null:sd=/var/spool/lpd:if=/var/spool/lpd/nprint-script:sh

(This is the only printer I can connected to).

2)For /var/spool/lpd/nprint-script:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/nprint -S NovellServer -U username -P password -q PrintQueue -

3)For all files and directories in /var/spool/lpd, set permission
(chmod) as 775
also did this for lpd lpr lpq, etc in /usr/sbin. I also set the owner of

all directories
and files above as root.daemon

4) I have ncpfs package installed, which inclued nprint, nsend, slist,
ncpmount,
ncpumount command. I can successfully mount a Novell volumn and nprint a

text file to the Novell print queue. For the input filter
/var/spool/lpd/nprint-script, I tried successfully the following
command:
$ cat README | /var/spool/lpd/nprint-script
and the README was printed ok.

The problem is when I started lpd and did a lpr, I got the error
message:

/usr/bin/nprint: Server Unknown when initializing connection

and the error message kept coming as long as the job is spooled. I have
no problem to list the job by lpq or remove it by lprm.

I think the input filter was started because the error is about nprint,
which is
in the script, but I just don't understand why it can not find the
server. Is it
possible that somehow the arguments for nprint are lost? The script
seems
working because I can "cat README|/var/spool/lpd/nprint-script"
and the print works.

The spooled files are in /var/spool/lpd and looks ok.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

1. AIX Printing to a Novell Netware 4.1 Print Queue

  I'm very new to the AIX world so please excuse me if the following isn't
all worded correctly. I'm in the process of installing a new LIS (Laboratory
Information System) for the Medical Reference Laboratory that I work for.

The problem that I'm running into is that I need to print to existing
Netware print queues. I have an existing Novell and NT LAN installed and 75
or so printers on the Novelll LAN that I would like to have our RS/6000's
that are running AIX print to. Is this even possible? I need to do this over
IPX, these aren't IP printers. Thanks in advance.

Chris Campbell
Regional Medical Laboratories, Inc.
Network Technician

2. htaccess file and Expires problem

3. How to get rid of banner when printing to netware print queue

4. smail, comp.mail.maps, utils == CONFUSION!

5. Queuing print jobs to NetWare queues?

6. AS/400 User Needs Serious Help With UNIX/AIX!!!

7. point solaris print queue to win2000 print queue

8. RAD tools for Linux?

9. printing to NetWare queue

10. Printing from AIX to Netware queue

11. printing to netware printer queue....

12. Printing to Netware Queue

13. Linux printing on Netware queue