samba

Post by MARK B VAN » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

    I  need to connect linux to a win98 and nt box on a network. Can someone
explain to me if samba is what i need? Can i browse the lnux box in nt? Is
there anything like network neighborhood in linux? All help would be
appreciated and a howto would be great. Thanks.
Please send email to,,,

samba

Post by David Kirkpatric » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Mark,
   Samba will do it.  You can map a linix resource to nt/98 like you can
from nt to nt - users will not know they are accesing something non-ms
etc - seamless.  So you can browse the linux box from nt with a single
large mapped drive ie L on nt to / on linux gives you the whole disk or
M on nt mapped to /usr/local no access anywhere else etc.     For the
network neighborhood no exact match.  There is a control pannel with a
system section which has network  configuration areas like in NN.  The
reverse (linux to nt) drive mapping is done from the keyboard by
smbmount'ing of nt drives to linux. (I do not know if there are GUI
tools for this but you could map the smbmount script command into some
sort of GUI.
   To view linux to nt shares you would use the keyboard or a GUI file
system browser - they become resources for linux and appear as local
drives(mounted filesystems).
   On the NN sid there is also the network configurator which is a nice
network GUI which does a limited number of things but very well.