ftp only accounts using anon ftp help please....

ftp only accounts using anon ftp help please....

Post by Fred Skrotz » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Version 5.2

I'm a newbie..  Learning fast.  So please forgive.  I've searched but
can't find it/Figure it out...

Ok here is what I'm trying to do and have already done.

1. edited the ftpusers account and added anonymous so that if I don't
create a user you can't log into ftp (No anonymous access).

2.  Added a entry into the /etc/shells for a bogus shell so that these
users can't telnet in.  Called it /etc/true

3. Found in the man pages for ftpaccess that if I create a user and
have it's home dir set to /home/./user that when they ftp in they
should be restricted to the /user dir and not see anything above it.

# 3 is the part I'm having problems with.  I create it but they can
still see and go above this level seeing my whole server.

1. Is there a specific user group that I should make these users a
part of the useid is something in the low 500's.  I know I'm missing
something simple and stupid but can't find it doc'd anywhere or even a
anon ftp how to that describes this.

Yea I also came from the windows world so I'm a bit screwed up in
linux thinking.

Any help is appreciated..

Thanks.

ftp only accounts using anon ftp help please....

Post by b.. » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Clip

Quote:> 3. Found in the man pages for ftpaccess that if I create a user and
> have it's home dir set to /home/./user that when they ftp in they
> should be restricted to the /user dir and not see anything above it.

> # 3 is the part I'm having problems with.  I create it but they can
> still see and go above this level seeing my whole server.

Doing this in /etc/passwd only works in conjunction with setting up
ftp group.  Then as per the man page before the /./  becomes the root
(top of their login) and following the /./ is where they will start
under the root when they ftp login.

Quote:> 1. Is there a specific user group that I should make these users a
> part of the useid is something in the low 500's.  I know I'm missing
> something simple and stupid but can't find it doc'd anywhere or even a
> anon ftp how to that describes this.

Ftp has 3 types of login
real            any user in the passward file with full access
guest           you can restrict user by group for root dir & home dir
anonymous       single login restricted to ftp's directory

To set up guest type

You need the following in /etc/ftpaccess :

# specify which group of users will be treated as "guests".
guestgroup ftpusers

Add ftpusers to /etc/group

(It need not be ftpusers any name is fine I used jrusers )

All users you want to have limited access must belong to this group

My ftp stuff is in /home/ftp    and has a subdirectory users

So placing   /home/ftp/./users/mort  in the home field for mort in
/etc/passwd  gives the results that when mort ftp's in he starts in
/home/ftp/users/mort but can only go up as far as /home/ftp

If you make the root (part before /./) other than ftp  you'll need to
include
/bin/ls somewhere that mort has access (a path to) or give him a copy.
Otherwise he won't be able to ls (dir).

If you wish to allow your limited ftper's to delete, rename, chmod
Edit your /etc/ftpaccess permissions.

# all the following default to "yes" for everybody
delete          no      anonymous               # delete permission?
overwrite       no      guest,anonymous         # overwrite permission?
rename          no      anonymous               # rename permission?
chmod           no      anonymous               # chmod permission?
umask           no      guest,anonymous         # umask permission?

--

                      Come Visit Our Website

        http://www.freeyellow.com/members/creative-services

         Please Visit Our Sponsers (We get paid per visit)

1. ftp only accounts using anon ftp help please....

[...]

2. INN under 2.5 (Sparc)?

3. Anon FTP help please!

4. Craps in Korn Shell

5. help: ftp daemon for ftp accounts???

6. Return Receipt .. spam

7. only anon ftp access? 5.2 ftp question

8. inetd crashing

9. FTP - And Shadow - Can't login as anyone except anon via ftp

10. Cern proxy ftp URL fails, but anon ftp to same site works

11. Cannot ftp into my machine as myself (user), but can ftp in as anon.

12. Warez list, please check your anon FTP hosts

13. Help, please: ftp account config problem