Caldera Netware access on other Linux

Post by Jeff Pierc » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Heh,

Has anybody installed the Caldera Netware access system on a Linux other
then that supplied on the Preview CD's.

I have the Preview I & II CD's and used them at my old job.  However, at
my new job I have installed Linux 2.0.0 from INfoMagic's Slackware 3.1
distribution.

I now need netware access again.  I called Caldera to order a copy of
CND and use my $29 off coupon I got with Preview II, but was told it was
no longer avaiable and a new replacement product would be shipping the
end of April.

But I need Netware access now....

So, has anybody installed the Caldera Novell server support on another
Linux?
If so, how and what did you do...

Jeff Pierce

Post by Uwe Bonn » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: Heh,

: Has anybody installed the Caldera Netware access system on a Linux other
: then that supplied on the Preview CD's.

: I have the Preview I & II CD's and used them at my old job.  However, at
: my new job I have installed Linux 2.0.0 from INfoMagic's Slackware 3.1
: distribution.

: I now need netware access again.  I called Caldera to order a copy of
: CND and use my 9 off coupon I got with Preview II, but was told it was
: no longer avaiable and a new replacement product would be shipping the
: end of April.

: But I need Netware access now....

: So, has anybody installed the Caldera Novell server support on another
: Linux?
: If so, how and what did you do...

First, have a look at ncpfs. It does a lot of what Caldera's netware client
does, for free.
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/.disk7/linux/misc/ncpfs,
Installing Caldera's client should be no big problem to. The probably
install some kernel module. It may be a problem that you either need a
versioned kernel or not, but by looking with "nm <module>", you will find
out. Lines like
         U register_netdev_Rca06bd98
will tell you that you need a versioned kernel. Lines like
         U ide_register
are for non versioned kernels.

--

Free Software: Contribute nothing, expect nothing