Pulled out 2nd NIC card, now linux won't boot

Pulled out 2nd NIC card, now linux won't boot

Post by Ryan Michael » Sun, 31 Oct 1999 04:00:00

For some reason (I dunno why, but I don't care at this point) I pulled my
2nd NIC card out of my linux machine while it was still on... then all of a
sudden the ENTIRE screen turned into computer gibberish (all the funky
characters).. so I rebooted my computer.

The computer turns on, nothing happens.. it's like nothing loads up.. no
beeps from the bios, the monitor won't even click on when the bios loads..
and in my 1st nic card, there's no cable plugged in, yet the green light is
on (i'm assuming the computer still thinks it's on or something??)

What's going on? If it's the problem, how do I reset the card(s)?

Post by Tom East » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

>For some reason (I dunno why, but I don't care at this point) I pulled my
>2nd NIC card out of my linux machine while it was still on... then all of a
>sudden the ENTIRE screen turned into computer gibberish (all the funky
>characters).. so I rebooted my computer.

>The computer turns on, nothing happens.. it's like nothing loads up.. no
>beeps from the bios, the monitor won't even click on when the bios loads..
>and in my 1st nic card, there's no cable plugged in, yet the green light is
>on (i'm assuming the computer still thinks it's on or something??)

>What's going on? If it's the problem, how do I reset the card(s)?

Fried motherboard or one of the key components on same? Sounds like it.

-Tom

--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

Post by Georg Ortman » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> For some reason (I dunno why, but I don't care at this point) I pulled my
> 2nd NIC card out of my linux machine while it was still on... then all of a
> sudden the ENTIRE screen turned into computer gibberish (all the funky
> characters).. so I rebooted my computer.

Did you really pull the NICs out of the board while it was on =:O ????

In that case you may have destroyed your main board. First I've learned is
never to plug in or pull out any card while the power is up...

Maybe your computer will start if you pull out the NICs first. Perhaps you have
luck and only these cards are damaged...

--
Regards

   To get my PGP key send mail with subject "Send PGP key"

1. Pulled NIC card out, now machine won't boot..

For some reason (I dunno why, but I don't care at this point) I pulled my
2nd NIC card out of my linux machine while it was still on... then all of a
sudden the ENTIRE screen turned into computer gibberish (all the funky
characters).. so I rebooted my computer.

The computer turns on, nothing happens.. it's like nothing loads up.. no
beeps from the bios, the monitor won't even click on when the bios loads..
and in my 1st nic card, there's no cable plugged in, yet the green light is
on (i'm assuming the computer still thinks it's on or something??)

What's going on? If it's the problem, how do I reset the card(s)?

2. development enviroment for c++

3. changing NICs - new NIC won't start on boot

4. linux and Windows 95

5. problem: 2 NICs, traffics won't go to 2nd

6. Quota patches 1.1.59

7. BARE image can't boot - even with most cards pulled !

8. Text is skewed

9. 2nd NIC won't load

10. Linux won't boot if my ethernet card isn't connected

11. Linux won't see NIC card

12. Linux won't reconize NIC card for cable modem

13. U5 won't boot from CD after adding 2nd HD