How add my domain to local nameserver?

Post by Andre - Nospam Wanted! » Mon, 15 May 2000 04:00:00

Ok, I've read the DNS HOW TO and must have missed this point:
Once I have a local nameserver running (my own nameserver on my own linux pc,
not the one my isp provided) how do i update it with my domain name that
exists on my linux pc? Or is this automatic once the nameserver is
functioning?

I don't know if I need to do something with bind or some other package. Can
direct me to the correct resource -- or even tell me exactly how to go about
this :)

Thanks!

Andre'
p.s. The reason I want to run my own nameserver is because i hate waiting
several days for the isp's nameserver to update its cache when I should be
able to do the same thing locally right away. Translation, I want to CONTROL
my own server.  Another reason is because  many isp's want to charge $100 per
month to add additional domain names to their nameservers even when you are
hosting everything on your own system. Not that I want to stiff anyone, I just
don't think $100 per month to have a domain added to a domain server is
reasonable when everything is running on my system. It's not a bandwidth
issue, it's just what they charge for the 'additional service'.

How add my domain to local nameserver?

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Andre - Nospam Wanted!!!

>Ok, I've read the DNS HOW TO and must have missed this point:
>Once I have a local nameserver running (my own nameserver on my own linux pc,
>not the one my isp provided) how do i update it with my domain name that
>exists on my linux pc? Or is this automatic once the nameserver is
>functioning?

If you followed the DNS-HOWTO you should have a zone file for your domain
and another one for the IP address for reverse lookup.  However, reverse
lookup from the internet will likely just find the hostname that your ISP
gives that IP.

Have you gotten far enough that when you do an nslookup of your hostname
using 127.0.0.1 as a primary nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf, that it can
find your IP?  Do you get any error in /var/log/messages when you do 'ndc
restart'?

Whether anybody will be able to find that domain or aliases (CNAME's) from
the internet depends upon whether the registrar of that domain name points
to your IP for DNS.  If you have a dynamic IP there are 3rd party DNS
services available.  Typically you should have at least 2 DNS servers at
different IP addresses.

Quote:>I don't know if I need to do something with bind or some other package. Can
>direct me to the correct resource -- or even tell me exactly how to go about
>this :)

The bind package has named and related utilities, but I also installed the
caching nameserver package.  If 'ndc restart' starts 'named' then you
should have what you need and it is probably just a matter of getting
/etc/named.conf and the zone files configured.  But I don't know what to
suggest without knowing what you have set up and working so far.

Quote:>Thanks!

>Andre'
>p.s. The reason I want to run my own nameserver is because i hate waiting
>several days for the isp's nameserver to update its cache when I should be
>able to do the same thing locally right away. Translation, I want to CONTROL
>my own server.  Another reason is because  many isp's want to charge $100 per
>month to add additional domain names to their nameservers even when you are
>hosting everything on your own system. Not that I want to stiff anyone, I just
>don't think $100 per month to have a domain added to a domain server is
>reasonable when everything is running on my system. It's not a bandwidth
>issue, it's just what they charge for the 'additional service'.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. How add my domain to local nameserver?

[...]

2. Jails on OpenBSD

3. How do i add my domain to local nameserver?

4. SLS 1.03 Install problem

5. sendmail: Problems when adding local domain

6. OpenBSD3.2, pf, and bandwidth.

7. My domain getting added to domain addresses

8. YAIR - Yet Another InfoMa

9. Q: How to setup nameserver/MX so internet user can send to my domain

10. Local nameserver messes up SLIP connection

11. how to setup a local nameserver

12. Nameserver domain additions.

13. Domain/Nameserver Boot-Up Problem