Intel EtherExpress 100 Problem SuSE 7.3

Intel EtherExpress 100 Problem SuSE 7.3

Post by Martin Haltmaye » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 07:18:00



SuSE 7.3, Intel EtherExpress 100. lsmod shows eepro100 loaded.

ifconfig eth0 shows

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ...
     inet6 addr: ...
     UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING ...
     ...
     Interrupt:11 Base address:0x7000

However, yast2 complains when I try to add a route. It says "Device eth0 is not
running". I wanted to use a fixed IP address on eth0.

What did I wrong? How do I fix it?

Martin

 
 
 

Intel EtherExpress 100 Problem SuSE 7.3

Post by c91f74b867d15.. » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 07:43:48


|SuSE 7.3, Intel EtherExpress 100. lsmod shows eepro100 loaded.
|
|ifconfig eth0 shows
|
|eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ...
|     inet6 addr: ...
|     UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING ...
|     ...
|     Interrupt:11 Base address:0x7000
|
|However, yast2 complains when I try to add a route. It says "Device eth0 is not
|running". I wanted to use a fixed IP address on eth0.

You say you wanted to use a fixed IP address. Does that mean you haven't
assigned it one? You can't specify routing until the interface has been
given an address, is what that message is trying to say, I think.

 
 
 

Intel EtherExpress 100 Problem SuSE 7.3

Post by Martin Haltmaye » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 16:25:14


I tried to assign one. However, eth0 seems to be blocked by inet6 whereas I want
to use a inet4 address. Where do I configure this manually because yast2 refuses
to do so?

Regards,

Martin


> |SuSE 7.3, Intel EtherExpress 100. lsmod shows eepro100 loaded.
> |
> |ifconfig eth0 shows
> |
> |eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ...
> |     inet6 addr: ...
> |     UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING ...
> |     ...
> |     Interrupt:11 Base address:0x7000
> |
> |However, yast2 complains when I try to add a route. It says "Device eth0 is not
> |running". I wanted to use a fixed IP address on eth0.

> You say you wanted to use a fixed IP address. Does that mean you haven't
> assigned it one? You can't specify routing until the interface has been
> given an address, is what that message is trying to say, I think.

 
 
 

Intel EtherExpress 100 Problem SuSE 7.3

Post by 93eb52cc03476.. » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 16:31:22


|I tried to assign one. However, eth0 seems to be blocked by inet6 whereas I want
|to use a inet4 address. Where do I configure this manually because yast2 refuses
|to do so?

I forgot how Yast2 looks like on 7.3 since I upgraded to 8.0, but it's
just a matter of going to the configure network menu, then ask to
specify a static address, then specify the netmask, and default gateway,
etc. I don't know why you're asked for the IPv6 stuff, it never bothered
me with any of that. Maybe delete all that IPv6 config and start over?

 
 
 

Intel EtherExpress 100 Problem SuSE 7.3

Post by Martin Haltmaye » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 19:57:36


That's the point. I did exactly what you described and the result is the error
"Device eth0 is not running" although ifconfig tells otherwise.

I never asked for that inet6 stuff.

Ideas?

Martin


> |I tried to assign one. However, eth0 seems to be blocked by inet6 whereas I want
> |to use a inet4 address. Where do I configure this manually because yast2 refuses
> |to do so?

> I forgot how Yast2 looks like on 7.3 since I upgraded to 8.0, but it's
> just a matter of going to the configure network menu, then ask to
> specify a static address, then specify the netmask, and default gateway,
> etc. I don't know why you're asked for the IPv6 stuff, it never bothered
> me with any of that. Maybe delete all that IPv6 config and start over?

 
 
 

Intel EtherExpress 100 Problem SuSE 7.3

Post by 3dfa369701dbd.. » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 21:25:48


|That's the point. I did exactly what you described and the result is the error
|"Device eth0 is not running" although ifconfig tells otherwise.
|
|I never asked for that inet6 stuff.

Hmm, are you thinking a line like this from ifconfig:

        inet6 addr: fe80::250:bfff:fe20:5a93/10 Scope:Link

means you have configured it for inet6? It's just a Link Local Address
that you get automatically based on the MAC address, look at your MAC
address and you'll see how it's derived. Don't let that distract you.
The main thing is whether you have a like like this:

        inet addr:10.10.10.10   Bcast:10.255.255.255    Mask:255.0.0.0

If not, you have not configured an ipv4 address for the interface.

 
 
 

1. Suse 7.3 @ HP Netserver LH 5/100

Hello ! :o)
I recently got an HP Netserver LH 5/100 for small money, and I would like to
install Linux on that machine. However, when trying to do that, it would not
load/recognize a single module - no SCSI Controller, no CD, no NIC ...
(That's for Suse Linux 7.3)

I'm particulary bothered by the below "kernel message" :

PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd54e, last bus = 1
PCI: System does not support PCI

Any idea as to whether that machine could ever do it ?
Thanks a lot in advance !!

cheers,
Markus

2. Diamond.FAQ

3. ISDN / IDE question: SuSE 7.3, 43P-100

4. RedHat 7.1 boot-up pauses for drive

5. Problem with Intel EtherExpress Mobile Pro 100, 16 bit

6. Adding multiple HP printers on Solaris 8

7. Intel Etherexpress Pro 100 Problems

8. C-Media (chipset 8738) - Does it work well under Linux?

9. Problem with Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100

10. intel etherexpress 10/100 problem

11. Intel EtherExpress 100 problem

12. Problems with EISA version of the Intel EtherExpress Pro/100

13. Intel Etherexpress Pro 100 stopped working...please help