100MBit ethernet PCI card RealTek 8139

Post by kayssne.. » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
I have a problem with a RealTek 8139 PCI Ethernet Card. At first Step
I say, that my English is not very well, and I hope you will excuse
this.

My two computer (a workstation with QDI brilliant IV Motherboard with
on board LAN adapter build on Intel's 82558 chipset and the name WORK1
works under Windows NT Workstation; the server with an Asus board, AMD
K6 and two network cards (PCI RealTek 8139 and ISA 3c509B) with the
name: SERVER2 works with Linux Kernel 2.0.35 (German distribution
S.u.S.E 5.3)) are connected via a crosscable. Both ethernet cards
(Intel's 82558 and RealTek's 8139) are 100MBit types. But in my case
they works in most times with slower speed. Only with the following
sequence, I can tell the RealTek to operate with 100MBit.

1.) Both computers are turned off.
2.) Turn on WORK1. Wait until the network is initialisieced. Note:
This only works, if in the networkcard settings is specified, that the
mode which shall be used, is 100MBit half-duplex.
3.) Turn on SERVER2.

Only with this sequence, I have between WORK1 and SERVER2 a 100MBit
connection.

My question is now:

With witch option/patch can I reach the goal, that the RealTek works
always in 100MBit half-duplex mode. The RealTek must work with 100MBit
half-duplex or don't work.

Thanks for helping.

100MBit ethernet PCI card RealTek 8139

Post by Peter T. Drechsle » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi.

1. read the manual. i never do it myself, but somestimes it
helps.
2. get yourself a dos boot disk.
3. boot dos with this disk.
4. on a utility disk that comes with the network card, there
should be a
   diagnostics program or a setup program that runs under
dos.
5. use the apropriate setup tool to adjust half/full duplex,
i/o, irq, 10/100Mbps
   and so on.
6. it should work, so.
7. it worked in my network.

hope i could help
peter

100MBit ethernet PCI card RealTek 8139

Post by Thomas Eg J?rgense » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

hmmm, you say DOS utils???

i once tried that with windoze....hmmm, the diagnostic-program(the one that
came with the net-card) said that the connection didn't work, and there was
a RAM(what?) failure on the net-card......

it couln't connect to the other machines diagnostic program......but somehow
i could transfer over 600 mb over the net in about 20min......how could i do
that when i just tested that with the diagnostic program.....hmmm wired,
right? i guess it wass because of i was running windows:-))

i tried to run the diagnostic program from a "clear" dos-command and from a
dos-prompt within windows....no succes at all....

my advise: do not trust 100% in these diagnostic-programs.....they may help,
but sometimes they don't.....

Best Regards
  Thomas

Peter T. Drechsler skrev i meddelelsen

Quote:>Hi.

>1. read the manual. i never do it myself, but somestimes it
>helps.
>2. get yourself a dos boot disk.
>3. boot dos with this disk.
>4. on a utility disk that comes with the network card, there
>should be a
>   diagnostics program or a setup program that runs under
>dos.
>5. use the apropriate setup tool to adjust half/full duplex,
>i/o, irq, 10/100Mbps
>   and so on.
>6. it should work, so.
>7. it worked in my network.

>hope i could help
>peter

100MBit ethernet PCI card RealTek 8139

Post by Karsten Ku » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a problem with Samba and Windows95.

There are two PCs, one running Windows95 (OSR 2), one running SuSE

Linux 6.0.

I wanted to create a network connection between those PCs (both with

3Com Etherlink III ISA (3C509b-Combo)), but there is no chance for me.

I'm not a network guru and hope anybody can answer

me.

Windows Network is configured with TCP/IP, no DNS support and with

IP 192.168.0.98. My Linux server has IP 192.168.0.99.

I tried many times to find a configuration with "smb.conf" to get

the connection running, but nothing happens. On my Windows PC I can see

the Samba server, but connections are not possible.

The call of "smbclient -L host" on my Linux-PC shows correct values.

"Testparm" also tells everything ok.

Each of the PCs can "ping" himself.

What can I do to get the system running ???

Help me, please.

Thanks Karsten

Post by Karsten Ku » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Post by Scalli » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>What can I do to get the system running ???

I had the exact same problem but I got it to work. Check out this website...it
has a Samba diagnosis:

http://samba.gorski.net/samba/samba.html

I would recommend setting up a share in smb.conf for your home directory to
test out samba. Do that, and then in Win 95, map to
\\servername\username and see if that works.

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> The call of "smbclient -L host" on my Linux-PC shows correct values.

> "Testparm" also tells everything ok.

> Each of the PCs can "ping" himself.

Are they also able to ping each other?

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:

1. RealTek 8129/8139 vs. Alternative RealTek 8139

The kernel configuration for 2.2.19 has the following two network
drivers:

  RealTek 8129/8139 (not 8019/8029!) support
  Alternative RealTek 8139 driver (8139too) support

with the alternative driver containing the phrase "sophisticated,
multi platform driver for RealTek 8139x" in the help.

My question: has anyone any experience of the alternative driver?  Is
it more/less stable?  Better/worse performance?  Why should I use it?

--
the-web-works  http://www.the-web-works.co.uk/
               http://www.ne-datacentre.co.uk/

2. Netscape newsgroups

3. support for RealTek 8139 ethernet card

4. Events in unix (Interesting question)

5. RedHat Linux8.0 giving problem with RealTek 8139 Ethernet card

6. Resilution

7. Macsense 10/100 Ethernet card (using RealTek 8139 chip)

8. Searching for howtos or docs about equal cost multipath routing

9. Kernel 2.2 Stable Problem with RealTek 8129/8139 ethernet xconfig/config

10. ethernet problem RealTek 8139 chipset

11. Realtek 8139 PCI assigned IRQ 0

12. Realtek 8139 card gives errors under ifconfig

13. network card : realtek 8139