local connection of two machines

Post by roo » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Anyone know how to make connection of two
machines, one has network card of NE2000, the other PCMCIA card.
Although each machine has its' own internet access through ppp,
but I also want to connect the two machine together.
Although the perfect structure will be
that both machines's ethernet card are connected through a twisted wire,
one machine is connected to the internet using ppp through modem connection.

So the specific problem will be
1) How to set up the ip address when execute netconfig for a
   local connection of two machine. (Not connecting to the internet)
2) Is it possible to use a modem and a network card at the same time.
   (that is, connecting to the internet and connect to each other)

Appreciate if anyone know how or can show me which HOW-TO to look into.

Jim Lo

Post by Erik Burro » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Anyone know how to make connection of two
>machines, one has network card of NE2000, the other PCMCIA card.
>Although each machine has its' own internet access through ppp,
>but I also want to connect the two machine together.
>Although the perfect structure will be
>that both machines's ethernet card are connected through a twisted wire,
>one machine is connected to the internet using ppp through modem connection.
>So the specific problem will be
>1) How to set up the ip address when execute netconfig for a
>   local connection of two machine. (Not connecting to the internet)
>2) Is it possible to use a modem and a network card at the same time.
>   (that is, connecting to the internet and connect to each other)
>Appreciate if anyone know how or can show me which HOW-TO to look into.

What I would do is to set up the system with the modem connection as a
PPP server to the other system, using the pppd to initiate the two
connections, and setting the defaultroute of the second system to the
first system. I am not altogether sure as to how to set up the PPP
server, or unless you have a static IP, how you are going to get the
two systems to communicate when connected to the 'net, but I'm sure
you can find some way to do it if you read the "Network
Administrator's Guide". It's at sunsite in:

        /pub/Linux/doc/linux-doc-project/nag...

I think.

It's a VERY usefull doc, and I learned a great many things from it.
But as for finding your specific problem in there, it's a 1000+ page
book, so I'll leave that up to you. :-)

                                                                        -Erik G. Burrows
-Erik G. Burrows

"The purpose of Real Mode is to set up the processor for
Protected Mode operation."  -Intel

"IPs, IPCs, IDTs, GDTs, PIDs, SIDs and CTS."  -Me

1. Howto redirect traffic from local machine to internet back to local machine?

Hi!

I have the following problem:
A program (malware) is running on my linux box and i want to check what it
does.
This program sends a lot of traffic to different IP addresses on the internet.
I know the destination port(s), but i do not know the IP in advance.

How can i redirect all traffic (with known dest port) originating from my
local box to the internet back to my local machine?

To make it clearer:
Assume i want to redirect all connection attempts to external mail-servers
coming from my local machine back to my own box.

This is what i tried so far (my box has IP 192.168.100.182):
# cat fw.sh

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d ! 192.168.100.0/24 --dport 25 \
         -j DNAT --to 127.0.0.1:25

but unfortunately, it does not work:
$ telnet mail.gmx.net 25
Trying 213.165.64.20...
Connected to mail.gmx.net.     <---- of course, that's not my machine
Escape character is '^]'.
220 {mp033} GMX Mailservices ESMTP

The same happens with
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d ! 192.168.100.182 --dport 25 \
         -j DNAT --to 127.0.0.1:25

Why does this not work?

Can any kind soul please help me?

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Martin.

2. fvwm95 Installation and Configuration

3. Getting two (local) IPv6-machines to talk to each other?

4. Windows VPN Client

5. Ftp too slow between two local machines in a 100Mb network

6. can't back to X-window after exit

7. Mail doesn't make it between two local machines

8. TIN

9. demand dial (pppd-2.3.5) connection opens even when accessing local lan machines

10. ssh connection to local machine

11. Can I access my local machines from the internet through my ppp connection.

12. two dsl connections, two routers, dual nics on linux box , want to run two websites

13. Two PPP connections on one machine?