Trying to figure out the correct Ethernet card

Trying to figure out the correct Ethernet card

Post by Gary Nielso » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 04:36:42

Sorry, I already posted a similar message with a different line that ended
with a question mark. I didn't mean to do that and when I got no replies, I
wondered if everyone thought it might be an adverti*t or spam. So I am
trying a re-post. If there's a problem with this, my apologies.

Anyway, lightning strike fried my NIC card on my Valinux machine, circa
2000, running Redhat 6.2. I would like to get the same NIC PCI card that is
used on the motherboard for eth0: an Intel 82557 Ethernet Pro 100. Went
searching on the net and see various varieties, from the "Intel PRO/100 S
10/100 PCI Ethernet Card" to the "Intel Pro/100S 10/100 Ethernet Card" to
the "Intel EtherExpress Pro 100" to the "Intel Pro 100 Plus NW Card with LAN
Wake."

I need a card that is 100% compatible with the "Intel 82557 Ethernet Pro
100" but can't seem to find one of those exact models, now a few years old.
Which Intel PCI cards will be 100% compatible so I can just throw in that
card? What models available now would be compatible?

Any help appreciated. Please email reply, too.

Post by Ian Northeas » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 06:09:13

> Anyway, lightning strike fried my NIC card on my Valinux machine, circa
> 2000, running Redhat 6.2. I would like to get the same NIC PCI card that is
> used on the motherboard for eth0: an Intel 82557 Ethernet Pro 100. Went
> searching on the net and see various varieties, from the "Intel PRO/100 S
> 10/100 PCI Ethernet Card" to the "Intel Pro/100S 10/100 Ethernet Card" to
> the "Intel EtherExpress Pro 100" to the "Intel Pro 100 Plus NW Card with LAN
> Wake."

> I need a card that is 100% compatible with the "Intel 82557 Ethernet Pro
> 100" but can't seem to find one of those exact models, now a few years old.
> Which Intel PCI cards will be 100% compatible so I can just throw in that
> card? What models available now would be compatible?

Any EtherExpress Pro*100 from rev B (very old now) onward should be
fine. Certainly IME up to the rev S with the eepro100 driver which you
are presumably using. I have heard that some newer ones may not work
with this driver and require Intel's own e100, which ships with most
recent Linux distros but probably wasn't in RH6.2, but I have yet to
encounter one and I have some which are only a few weeks old.

The EtherExpress Pro*100 is about the best supported ethernet card there
is. It is my favourite 100Mb card.

PS If this is on the Internet you really should consider upgrading it, I
notice that RH have recently stopped issuing security updates for 6.2.

Regards, Ian

1. 4th Ethernet Card does not work correct

Hi,

I have a small Linux system which shall connect 4 local networks.

I set up a RedHat Linux 5.0 and 5.1.
I build in 4 SMC-Ultra ethernet cards.
I configured /etc/conf.modules.
I configured /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth.

During startup all 4 netcards are detected correctly.
All 4 interfaces (eth0-eth3) are set up (checked with ifconfig)
I can ping all 4 ip-adresses.
I can ping all hosts conected to netcard 1,2 and 4 but none conected to
netcard 3 (and vice versa).
If I remove netcard 4 I can ping all hosts on all 3 remaining cards.
After changing the cards I get the same effect (so netcard 3 is surly not
broken).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Ehrhardt

2. ext2 application for DOS??

3. Mini-linux: finding correct ethernet card

4. Iptables & netmeeting

5. Figuring out the correct device (Wacom Tablet Related)

6. : Getty not respawning properly

7. how to figure out correct arrow keys

8. PINE and POP

9. Figuring out correct Xfree86 modeline?

10. Multiple dial OUTS & report on 3COM 3C905-TX ethernet

11. Trying to get Linux to work with a NetGear (Bay Networks) Ethernet card

12. Trying to configure a Ethernet Card

13. Help needed: trying to set up 2 Ethernet cards (1 ISA, 1 PCI)