phone line network cards supported?

Post by bobyet.. » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I just moved houses, and can't get the network cable between 2 of my
computers. I was in the store browsing, and saw a couple of different
brands of NICs that use the phone line vice 10BaseT or RJ45 to
interconnect the cards.  Before I buy, I want to know if they're
supported under Linux.  Two of the specific brands I saw were:

3Com HomeConnect home network phoneline kit (based on 3c410 chip)
and
Diamond MM HomeFree Phoneline 10MB PCI (based on BCM4210 chip)

Anyone got any experience with either of these?
--

phone line network cards supported?

Post by Larry Gardne » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have the Diamond HPA 2.0 (10 MBPS card) and have been unable to find Linux
support for this card.
I emailed Diamond and got the usual "We don't support
blah.....blah.....blah......  I am keeping on eye out for one at
linhardware.com

Post by larry.gard.. » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have the Diamond HPA 2.0 (10 MBPS card) and have been unable to
 find Linux
support for this card.
I emailed Diamond and got the usual "We don't support
blah.....blah.....blah......  I am keeping on eye out for one at
linhardware.com

> I just moved houses, and can't get the network cable between 2 of
 my
> computers. I was in the store browsing, and saw a couple of
 different
> brands of NICs that use the phone line vice 10BaseT or RJ45 to
> interconnect the cards.  Before I buy, I want to know if they're
> supported under Linux.  Two of the specific brands I saw were:

> 3Com HomeConnect home network phoneline kit (based on 3c410 chip)
> and
> Diamond MM HomeFree Phoneline 10MB PCI (based on BCM4210 chip)

> Anyone got any experience with either of these?
> --

phone line network cards supported?

Post by Arne Goetj » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I just moved houses, and can't get the network cable between 2 of my
> computers. I was in the store browsing, and saw a couple of different
> brands of NICs that use the phone line vice 10BaseT or RJ45 to
> interconnect the cards.  Before I buy, I want to know if they're
> supported under Linux.  Two of the specific brands I saw were:
> 3Com HomeConnect home network phoneline kit (based on 3c410 chip)
> and
> Diamond MM HomeFree Phoneline 10MB PCI (based on BCM4210 chip)
> Anyone got any experience with either of these?

Forget it... you can use simple 10 Mbps network cards with RJ-45
connectors and build yourself the network cabeling between the phone
jacks. Just get 2 RJ-45 sockets and put your phone cable between the two
sockets.
You can establish a 10 Mbps connection with a simple 4 wired phone cable
(max. 100 m length).
You need to connect contacts 1,2,3 and 6. Just connect them 1:1 and use a
cross cable on one side to connect to your computer. The other side needs
a normal patch cable then.

If you have additional questions mail me... :)

CU
Arne

phone line network cards supported?

Post by Mark Astle » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

But I'm guessing then that you can't use voice over the same phone
line at the same time, right?  This is one of the features touted by
the new HomePhone network cards.  Of course, if your
house/apartment/whatever has extra circuits then you can easily
dedicate a set of lines to just modem use.  But I guess the real
"feature" of these home network cards is that everyone can share the
same circuit.  Please correct me if I'm wrong here...

mark

> > I just moved houses, and can't get the network cable between 2 of my
> > computers. I was in the store browsing, and saw a couple of different
> > brands of NICs that use the phone line vice 10BaseT or RJ45 to
> > interconnect the cards.  Before I buy, I want to know if they're
> > supported under Linux.  Two of the specific brands I saw were:

> > 3Com HomeConnect home network phoneline kit (based on 3c410 chip)
> > and
> > Diamond MM HomeFree Phoneline 10MB PCI (based on BCM4210 chip)

> > Anyone got any experience with either of these?

> Forget it... you can use simple 10 Mbps network cards with RJ-45
> connectors and build yourself the network cabeling between the phone
> jacks. Just get 2 RJ-45 sockets and put your phone cable between the two
> sockets.
> You can establish a 10 Mbps connection with a simple 4 wired phone cable
> (max. 100 m length).
> You need to connect contacts 1,2,3 and 6. Just connect them 1:1 and use a
> cross cable on one side to connect to your computer. The other side needs
> a normal patch cable then.

> If you have additional questions mail me... :)

> CU
> Arne

phone line network cards supported?

Post by Arne Goetj » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> But I'm guessing then that you can't use voice over the same phone
> line at the same time, right?  This is one of the features touted by
> the new HomePhone network cards.  Of course, if your
> house/apartment/whatever has extra circuits then you can easily
> dedicate a set of lines to just modem use.  But I guess the real
> "feature" of these home network cards is that everyone can share the
> same circuit.  Please correct me if I'm wrong here...

Of course not... You can't use voice and data over the same wires at
the same time...
you need 4 wires for data and 2 wires for phone. But if you have a 6 wire
cable it should not be a problem to install a twin RJ-45 socket with
plugging an adapter into the on side to connect the phone. Phone line is
used on pin 3 and 4.
Actually I don't know these cards, but I'm a technician for phone lines
and networks... :)
But I don't think that you can use voice and data on the same wires at the
same time... voice should be disturbed while sending data...

CU
Arne

Post by Rick Matthe » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>Of course not... You can't use voice and data over the same wires at
>the same time...

How do you explain ADSL?

--
Always remember:
<http://mysite.directlink.net/matthews/smiles/started.htm>

Post by Edward Le » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > But I'm guessing then that you can't use voice over the same phone
> > line at the same time, right?  This is one of the features touted by
> > the new HomePhone network cards.  Of course, if your

> Of course not... You can't use voice and data over the same wires at
> the same time...

Quote:> Actually I don't know these cards, but I'm a technician for phone lines
> and networks... :)
> But I don't think that you can use voice and data on the same wires at the
> same time... voice should be disturbed while sending data...

You need to read more on broadband communications.  Data are communicated at
higher frequency than voice, on the same line.  This is the same idea as DSL.

Post by Mark Astle » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > > But I'm guessing then that you can't use voice over the same phone
> > > line at the same time, right?  This is one of the features touted by
> > > the new HomePhone network cards.  Of course, if your

> > Of course not... You can't use voice and data over the same wires at
> > the same time...

> > Actually I don't know these cards, but I'm a technician for phone lines
> > and networks... :)
> > But I don't think that you can use voice and data on the same wires at the
> > same time... voice should be disturbed while sending data...

> You need to read more on broadband communications.  Data are communicated at
> higher frequency than voice, on the same line.  This is the same idea as DSL.

Right, that's what I had read as well.  So I guess this is the
long-winded answer to my question: yes (maybe) you can use regular
phone jacks for 10MB ethernet but don't expect to use voice over the
same line at the same time.  That's the main advantage of a HomePhone
card.  BTW, if anyone is successful in hooking up a home phone circuit
with straight 10 MB cards I'd like to hear about it.  I have two extra
circuits in my house I could dedicate to this purpose.

cheers,

mark

1. support for phone line networks?

I have a phone line network at home (made by netgear), and I want to
know if there is any support in FreeBSD for this kind of network.  To
connect to the LAN, my computer has a USB connector which plugs into a
phone line which goes into the wall.  Other computers on this network
use a PCI card instead.  Will FreeBSD be able to recognize this type
of network adapter?  This is the only thing preventing me from using
FreeBSD at home.  I searched around google for awhile, and all I could
find was a linux beta driver for the PCI connector, and nothing for
the USB one (http://www.homepna.org/support/faqs.html#FAQ6_Q1).  Can
anyone offer any help?  Thanks.

2. changing date format in solaris 9

3. using 10BaseT cards w/ phone lines (cheep home networking)?

4. mcount ??? <HELP>

5. Support for Home Phone Networking cards

6. ftp via NFS -- the Alex File System on Linux?

7. Support for Home Phone Networking cards - Thanks

8. LSLI PORTUS HOMEPAGE

9. Home Phone Line Networking

10. Phone line network

11. Phone line networking